lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #11
hecktwa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reassembly 1989 EZGO with 3pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I wouldn't ask that obnoxious jerk anything. I think he gets drunk, makes up random answers, and spouts nothing but gibberish. I haven't seen him help anybody on here yet.
LOL!!
hecktwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2017, 02:16 AM   #12
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I think the original problem was an electric fuel pump.

As for the timing, it has been way too long since I put mine together to remember the exact marks. I do know that mine was in the middle of the slot.

I believe that you should be looking for a mark on the outside edge of the ring. I faintly remember an indented dot similar to the one in your first picture just under the pulsar screw.

I marked mine, and then later found the mark they were talking about.

Should you go back in, and change it? I don't know.
It's going to run. I just don't know how well. It may run stronger in forward than reverse. I didn't experiment with mine, and just don't have the experience to say how much of a difference it makes.

If the engine is still out, I would think about changing it. Engine already in the cart, I would go for it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IGNITION TIMING.pdf (362.4 KB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:33 AM   #13
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

This is a thread you will want to read. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...stions-10.html

To view his pictures, go to google images, and search...... 89 EC25 3pg rebuild questions.......

His screws are off center like yours. That could be the difference between a 2pg, and a 3pg. It's also probably why there is a slot instead of a fixed hole with no adjustment. It allows the same part to be used in different engines.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #14
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I wouldn't ask that obnoxious jerk anything. I think he gets drunk, makes up random answers, and spouts nothing but gibberish. I haven't seen him help anybody on here yet.
Oh FFS LOL
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #15
hecktwa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
This is a thread you will want to read. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...stions-10.html

To view his pictures, go to google images, and search...... 89 EC25 3pg rebuild questions.......

His screws are off center like yours. That could be the difference between a 2pg, and a 3pg. It's also probably why there is a slot instead of a fixed hole with no adjustment. It allows the same part to be used in different engines.
Thanks for the link...the pics help a lot!

I think I have everything in good order now...the timing may not be perfect, but shouldn't prevent it from starting. After all it did run before and the timing was all the way to edge of the slots. I have an original type fuel pump back on it now and had to fabricate a spacer from a piece of 1/4 inch plexi-glass as shown in the picture. The piston is facing the right direction. I just finishing installing the fuel tank yesterday which I cleaned and dumped to old fuel which was the wrong mixture for a rebuild engine. I'm installing new fuel line and clamps today and the clutch and belts. The carb is new, the muffler has been bbq'd, new spark plug, new battery, starter and voltage reg. Everything else has been cleaned, inspected and/or replaced. So I have high hopes for a good outcome when it comes to the moment of truth which should come shortly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02142.jpg (178.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02144.jpg (239.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02150.jpg (216.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #16
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Wow good for you, Thanks for the pics. I see a big difference in design between my 2pg and your 3pg, The intake is on your cylinder and mine is on the crankcase. I have high hopes for ya, Keep us posted
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #17
hecktwa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

After an extended amount of time spent checking and re-checking everything I could think of, I finally had it all together this evening and ready to fire up. Unfortunately, I still am missing something. The compression has somehow dipped even lower than after the first rebuild...down from 75 to 60. Obviously I can't get it to start at that level. Spark continues to look good and the only encouragement I have is that the spark plug is not fouling out real bad like it had been. It appears replacing the E-pump for a stock engine mounted pump has corrected the rich mixture issue. I took extreme care once again to ensure the rings were installed properly and piston is facing the right way. So what else could be killing the compression as it is? Originally I started with about 90-95 lbs compression prior to tearing it down the first time.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #18
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Is this the original cylinder, and piston? What was the ring end gap?

Rings are bevel side up, and ends wrapped around the alignment pins?

Maybe try a little heavy oil in the spark plug hole, and try another compression est.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #19
hecktwa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, rings w/bevel up and end gap was in spec....012 on one and .013 on the other, a .001 difference between them for some reason but right within spec so I figure no problem there.

I'll try the oil in cylinder deal tomorrow and see if it changes any.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #20
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Did you use a fresh head gasket? Do you have access to another compression tester? Toss another schrader valve in yours iv seen them do goofly things to compression gauges
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO