lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
USCDude
Getting Wild

Default EZGO RXV Battery Question

I've had my EZGO RXV for about 5 years. I have Trojan T-1275 12 V batteries. This past summer the batteries died quickly. I then started to look around and noticed the water level was down one of them.

I put water in and the longevity went back up. If one of the batteries does not have enough water, how does that effect the performance of all 4? I know nothing about batteries.

I am wondering if I have damaged them? They should last 7 years correct? The RXV is garage kept and well taken care of.
USCDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: EZGO RXV Battery Question

Batteries are toast. T-1275 Batts don't last 7 years, 4 is doing good with those. And the entire set is limited by the weakest one in the chain.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
USCDude
Getting Wild

What are some suggestions I should look into? I don't drive long distances on my batteries. Usually around the hood, grocery store and take to the beach. I don't need a lot of distance on them if that makes sense.

I appreciate your help.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #4
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO RXV Battery Question

I have 4 Trojan T-1275s that I put in the cart 9-14-2014. This past January I started having charging issues. I checked the water level. Batteries 2 & 4 were down compared to 1 & 3 but the plates were still fully covered. I added distilled water to all four batteries to bring the levels to just under the little tabs below the caps.

Last Sunday tried to play a round. In 4 holes the cart went from almost a full charge to yellow less than half charge.

Decided I didn't want to risk having to tow it home; so aborted what was shaping up to be a very good round and went home.

I Have the parts to convert from 4 12s to 6 8s. Been planning it for this eventuality. My local dealer only had 2 8s in stock. So he ordered 6 more for me that will come in Thursday afternoon.

Moral of this story:

Trojans are a very good battery. It just when they wear out, they fail in a hurry. I got 4 years and 4 months. My understanding is that is in the range of average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #5
USCDude
Getting Wild

What is a good battery for me to get if I don't use the golf cart for long runs? I am looking more for longevity of the LIFE of the battery.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Lithium gives lots of longevity... Check the lithium section if you're open to that option. You can size the capacity to fit however you use the cart, from short runs to all day running and everything in between.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Even if long runs aren't your primary concern, but longevity is, I still suggest the highest capacity battery you can get in the 12v golf cart battery size. The depth of discharge every use has a huge effect on battery life. A higher capacity battery will be discharged less every use.

I know these are AGM & gel curves, but FLA is going to be very similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190206-121913.jpg (38.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
USCDude
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Even if long runs aren't your primary concern, but longevity is, I still suggest the highest capacity battery you can get in the 12v golf cart battery size. The depth of discharge every use has a huge effect on battery life. A higher capacity battery will be discharged less every use.

Treat me like a 5 year old. What would you suggest?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

Another T-1275 or equivalent set. I would avoid the lower capacity T-1260 class. Basically what I'm saying is even though long trips aren't your use case, the last thing you want to do is go to less capacity batteries. Because they won't even last as long as what you had.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post

For your collection.

Here is a Lifespan vs average SoC maintained for Lead-Acid, Wet-Cell, Deep-Cycle batteries based on data from the four manufacturers listed.

In addition to getting highest AH possible and practical, keeping on float charge while not in use increases average SoC and lengthens usable lifespan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Lifespan.jpg (127.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO