lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2019, 07:12 PM   #11
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: batteries expelling hydrogen

You can actually get non-Lithium? electric golf cars in 2019-20? I thought I read somewhere that EZGO has been going lithium at the factory since like 2018? Or was that fake news?

I know many believe li-ion is safe due to Nissan Leaf modules being used in many conversions and at some factories, but Delta-Q also used to be quite reputable before shooting themselves in the foot re: PowerWise QE/ERIC failure rate/disposable garbage, so I wouldn't put it past EZ (or anyone else) to make their own variant of a Leaf module that may not be as safe as a real one. I worry. I've seen photos of houses destroyed by a lithium conversion gone wrong, and you can't recognize the mess as once being a home. Golf car frames become literally molted blobs welded to pavement.

Toyota uses Prius batteries of safer chemistry such as NiMH and Prius cars have been known to go over a decade without a battery replacement. Our new Olympus golf cars (not sure how long they'll last on the market) have Prius modules in the Gemini series and Toyota controllers. I do like and prefer NiMH over Li-Ion re: safety.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2019, 11:40 PM   #12
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...j58qKZXidHzw&s
This was hydrogen -
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:29 AM   #13
SB77
Getting Wild
Club Car

I hear what everyone is saying....and I now realize hydrogen is being let off when a lead acid battery charges. And I hear you it should be charged outside or in a detached garage. But with the amount of people I personally know who charge their golf carts in an attached closed garage nightly without issue(lucky as they may be) ... I can only assume something is faulty with my batteries or charger. I live in a golf cart community. No one had ever heard of this. Residents, mayor, no one at either of the two golf courses, the police, hell even the fire department didn't know what was going on until they got back to their station and researched it. They had literally one call - 10 years ago that was carbon alarm tripped by golf cart. One call in 10 years... Not in Idaho.... In golf cart mecca. And he said those batteries were literally melting under the seat.

I mean I'll get new batteries and a new charger and keep the windows open and fan on while I charge the cart and make sure it's unplugged when we sleep. But it's not fool proof.

I really hate to think of what would have happened had we not had monitored carbon detectors and the police forced us outside.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
SB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:55 AM   #14
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

only one? ha! Both our CO alarms go off if we charge any car in the shop. doesn't matter if they bubble or smell like rotten eggs or not.

I hope our Olympus cars end up successes. So far they're out-selling our RXVs which were the #1 until recently. It'd be neat to not have to worry about battery acid since the Olympus cars use NiMH Prius batteries. 72 volt system.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:56 AM   #15
SB77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
only one? ha! Both our CO alarms go off if we charge any car in the shop. doesn't matter if they bubble or smell like rotten eggs or not.
Really? Maybe no one here has a CO alarm but me then....

Old 10-25-2019, 12:58 AM   #16
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Granted ours are just battery powered ones from Wally World but still...We end up pulling the batteries if they go off during work hours. super annoying.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:36 PM   #17
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

It's a well known issue and scary it is just though in some communities you cant charge your cart outside or with the garage open. Not sure where you are in FL but here are some articles from around FL. You may want to show your local fire department maybe they could start a CO2 detector campaign could save someones life. Everyone in my neighborhood has ADT provided and monitored CO2 alarms in the house including one just inside the house garage door.

http://www.bonitafire.org/Golf%20Car...g%20Safety.pdf

http://www.islandernews.com/news/saf...3781fd761.html

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...206-story.html

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...rt-in-sarasota
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #18
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

The only time I've noticed them actually sizzling was when the charger refused to shut off for whatever reason. The sulfur odor could happen even without hearing them bubbling like soup. When they bubble like soup they're either near EOL or the charger isn't working properly.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #19
SB77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
It's a well known issue and scary it is just though in some communities you cant charge your cart outside or with the garage open. Not sure where you are in FL but here are some articles from around FL. You may want to show your local fire department maybe they could start a CO2 detector campaign could save someones life. Everyone in my neighborhood has ADT provided and monitored CO2 alarms in the house including one just inside the house garage door.

http://www.bonitafire.org/Golf%20Car...g%20Safety.pdf

http://www.islandernews.com/news/saf...3781fd761.html

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...206-story.html

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...rt-in-sarasota
It may be well known among forum members here, but not by the general golf cart owning public in South FL. Literally no one I've told here locally had any idea. I'm in South Florida... Palm Beach county. Hell I bought my cart from a firefighter... He was very thorough on the charging safety... Didn't mention the hydrogen. If firefighters don't know about it... I don't think it's a well known problem.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #20
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have you ever thought that your CO detector might be bad. Especially since nobody else in the neighborhood seems to be having any problems.
WalterM6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car