lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
buddha913
Not Yet Wild

Default Can my batteries be salvaged?

I just bought a 2002.5+ Club Car 48v. It hasn’t been charged in 6 months. I batteries currently have the following charges:
Can they be salvaged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buddha913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can my batteries be salvaged?

The ones over 6v may be serviceable but capacity and lifeline will be significantly reduced. Any new batteries you mix with these will be reduced to the same old condition as these in short time..... in my opinion, unless you can find good used replacements for $40 each or less - it's not worth it.

Batteries are the heart of the electric cart. The cart needs healthy batteries to function especially with bigger tires, hills, and or high performance electronics.
Older carts are 36v. Today all carts made are 48v. The higher voltage produces more torque and more speed more efficiently than the old 36v systems.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
buddha913
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, Scottie. Do you think the 2 batteries with the lowest charge can be brought up enough so I could drive the cart at all? I was hoping I wouldn’t need to tow it.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Most likely they would hold a charge long enough to try it. You would have to find a way to charge 8v batteries, though.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Running very low voltage causes very high amperage draw. In the situation where the bottom drops out of batteries 1 and 2 the cart will be left with 30v or so and the resulting high amperage draw could melt a F&R, solenoid, controller, or motor. Is it really worth the risk? No.
Try it with a voltmeter on the pack. if the voltage stays above 42v you are good. Below that point you are risking more than a tow is worth.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
buddha913
Not Yet Wild

Thank you so much guys.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
Vandy_Guy
Not Yet Wild

If you want to give it a shot, I have revived 8 volt batteries using a 12 volt charger. They were showing similar voltage that you describe. The key is getting them to a high enough voltage for the stock golf cart charger to pick them up and charge the pack. Just be sure to unhook the battery cables so you're charging each one individually. Also make sure the water levels are all good in every cell before doing this. See one of my posts on this: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...er-detect.html

As scottyB indicated, the batteries will likely not last very long even after reviving. I've noticed I have to charge the ones I've revived much sooner than if they were new.
Vandy_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
buddha913
Not Yet Wild

Could I use this charger to get them up to a chargeable level?

Old 10-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
buddha913
Not Yet Wild

Sorry, I didn’t see the previous post before I posted that.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #10
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy_Guy View Post
If you want to give it a shot, I have revived 8 volt batteries using a 12 volt charger. They were showing similar voltage that you describe. The key is getting them to a high enough voltage for the stock golf cart charger to pick them up and charge the pack. Just be sure to unhook the battery cables so you're charging each one individually. Also make sure the water levels are all good in every cell before doing this. See one of my posts on this: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...er-detect.html

As scottyB indicated, the batteries will likely not last very long even after reviving. I've noticed I have to charge the ones I've revived much sooner than if they were new.
No need to disconnect cables...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car