lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default RXV with 6 Trojan Batteries Rundown Quick

I put 6 Trojans in my 2015 RXV last year in May and they are already down to the 70% range only a mile out of the drive way. I leave my cart plugged in all the time if it sits a couple days I unplug it and plug back up to recharge from sitting. I know your going to say load test and all that and im not really sure how to do that and when is the best time and all that? I have never really been happy with the range of the 6 battery setup. Could my cheap Chinese converter be draining them? I have headlights is all on it. Also I put water in them a week or two ago after noticing they were low. Before I get out of the driveway it says 95% but its always been like that and that could be due to the accuracy of the gauge. Just need some help. I doubt anyone in my town knows to much about RXV's.
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Roy Gurley
Gone Wild

Club Car

Location: Retired and live in small town of Timberlake, North Carolina
Default Re: RXV with 6 Trojan Batteries Rundown Quick

could be many things.
First off 36 volt or 48 volt ?
how old are the batteries ?
kind of charger ?
Roy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2000 View Post
1.I put 6 Trojans in my 2015 RXV last year in May
2. and they are already down to the 70% range only a mile out of the drive way.
3. I leave my cart plugged in all the time if it sits a couple days I unplug it and plug back up to recharge from sitting.
4. I know your going to say load test and all that and im not really sure how to do that and when is the best time and all that?
5. I have never really been happy with the range of the 6 battery setup.
6. Could my cheap Chinese converter be draining them? I have headlights is all on it.
7. Also I put water in them a week or two ago after noticing they were low.
8. Before I get out of the driveway it says 95% but its always been like that and that could be due to the accuracy of the gauge.
9. Just need some help. I doubt anyone in my town knows to much about RXV's.
1. The Trojan brand batteries are roughly 1.5 years old. What model are they? T-875 (8V - 170AH) are typically the ones used in a 6x8V 48V pack.

2. The meter might be wacky. Need a dvm to read voltage.

3. Once every other week or so, is usually often enough to compensate for the self -discharge loss.

4. Connect a handheld DVM between the battery pack's main negative and main positive terminals. Drive cart a hundred yards of so to get rid of any surface charge and then note the voltage before and while driving up an incline. The easiest way of doing this is get a DMM that has a Min/Max function. That way you don't need two people, one to drive the other to watch DVM.

5. How many mile range did/do you get. I'm not sure what the range of a stock RXV is, but they should do at least 36 holes without any trouble.

6. Does the converter stay on all the time? Is it a factor converter, or is it aftermarket? What type headlights, incandescent or LED?

7. Distill;ed water only and only fill fully charged batteries.

8. Wacky meter? Get a dash mounted DVM to monitor the battery pack. Connect it directly to battery pack and let it run 24/7, or put in a separate switch to shut it off. Don't even think of using the RXV keyswitch, if you do you'll take out the very expensive controller.

9. I don't know much about RXVs, but have picked up a bit that has been posted here.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Depending on 12 volt convertor if connected to batteries so it’s on all the time,it will draw a small amount of power.
If this is the case you can add a switch and relay to turn convertor off when not needed.
I did a post on how to do this along with how to wire a relay on my txt.

Beware rxv’s are a bit different so be sure to get the experts advice before adding or doing any wiring changes so not to damage controler.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:00 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Is that a performance tuned RXV? If so, jackrabbit starts really suck down the batteries quickly. While many love that high-G launch feel, I recommend being gentle on the pedal to prevent wasting battery pack power until you really need it... Like showing another cart owner who's cart is quicker!
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Gurley View Post
could be many things.
First off 36 volt or 48 volt ?
how old are the batteries ?
kind of charger ?
48 volt

Batteries have been in cart since may of 2018 not sure how long they were on shelf

quiq charger- yellow one that comes with it
Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. The Trojan brand batteries are roughly 1.5 years old. What model are they? T-875 (8V - 170AH) are typically the ones used in a 6x8V 48V pack. T-875

2. The meter might be wacky. Need a dvm to read voltage.

3. Once every other week or so, is usually often enough to compensate for the self -discharge loss.

4. Connect a handheld DVM between the battery pack's main negative and main positive terminals. Drive cart a hundred yards of so to get rid of any surface charge and then note the voltage before and while driving up an incline. The easiest way of doing this is get a DMM that has a Min/Max function. That way you don't need two people, one to drive the other to watch DVM.

5. How many mile range did/do you get. I'm not sure what the range of a stock RXV is, but they should do at least 36 holes without any trouble. Right now I don't think it would make 36 holes if it did it would be well below 50% charge

6. Does the converter stay on all the time? Is it a factor converter, or is it aftermarket? What type headlights, incandescent or LED? its an aftermarket converter. I need to see if its on all the time. I have LED lights

7. Distill;ed water only and only fill fully charged batteries. That's what I use

8. Wacky meter? Get a dash mounted DVM to monitor the battery pack. Connect it directly to battery pack and let it run 24/7, or put in a separate switch to shut it off. Don't even think of using the RXV keyswitch, if you do you'll take out the very expensive controller.

9. I don't know much about RXVs, but have picked up a bit that has been posted here.
I answered some of questions above
Old 12-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #8
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Is that a performance tuned RXV? If so, jackrabbit starts really suck down the batteries quickly. While many love that high-G launch feel, I recommend being gentle on the pedal to prevent wasting battery pack power until you really need it... Like showing another cart owner who's cart is quicker!
Bob this is a cart you tuned for me.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

so I parked my golf cart for a few days and it was left on the charger for about a week. I went to ride it yesterday and it was at 83% when I turned the key on to ride it after it sat for a few days and had been fully charged.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #10
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

my batteries are one month outside the warranty period. :(
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO