lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
Captim1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2013 RXV break problem

I have 4 RXV (2, 2013 and 2, 2015) carts and love them! However I have this one cart (2015) (you know the one problem child).
This cart will throw you through the windshield with no warning.
I have done the following;
replaced the accelerator sensor and switch which I thought fixed for a few weeks.
replaced the break switch which fixed it for a few weeks.
replaced the battery cables which fixed it for a few weeks.
The problem came back again so I replaced the break, now I have a new issue when in tow mode and N the break will lock and unlock at will just sitting there. I have read a few posts where this break may not be correct for the cart (pulling to many amps overheating the controller) I will put the old break back in to see if that fixes the oscillating break while in tow.
I noticed the batteries seem wet all the time, they are Crown 12V causing the cables to corrode. I am constantly cleaning them (even when using the protector spray), I noticed every time I work on it I clean the cables when doing the repair so I got thinking and just cleaned them and it ran for 2 weeks.
I plan to put the old break back on and clean the cables again but not sure where to go from here? This cart is run 12 hours a day 7 days a week (the most of all the carts) and put on charge every night. I switched chargers a few months back with another cart thinking the charger isn't shutting off but still the same results (wet batteries).
I'm now thinking (after reading more of your posts) it may be a battery issue, with the constant use is there a better battery or charger option?

Thanks for the help!
Captim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2013 RXV break problem

I bet your wire harness has been damaged by that acid always covering the batteries. It's pretty common. And the symptoms of that match your symptoms.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

here are a few places that you may want to look at for problems.

check the B+ side of the solenoid. make sure connection is tight and that there are no signs of melting at the base of the high current connections.

check the wiring harness. in particular there is a junction of several wires that are connected together. all the wires are red, supply +48 volts to different systems in the cart and is located in front of the middle battery in the wire harness. I have found over the years several RXV's with corrosion inside this junction point and causes the symptoms you described.

You can cut, strip and solder or butt connect all the wires back together. Than wrap up with electrical tape and/or sealing shrink tube. hope this helps - Phil
Phil_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This the junction and a picture of what it looks like inside.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #5
Captim1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for all the info, I’ll dig into the wires to see what I can find. I do have a battery question, I charged them Sunday and one was still boiling Monday? I did confirm they are reconditioned, thinking I will replace them. Any recommendations on what batteries to get?

Thank You for the help.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Can't go wrong with Trojan batteries

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Captim1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok I went through the connections and soldered them, put 4 new Trojans.
New problem now ( hoping I missed something)
With the switch in tow and the key in N the orange light on the battery indicator flashes fast and the needle bounces on E. When I put the switch in run and the key on R or F the battery indicator showed 3/4 but nothing works or happens.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I had to replace several RXV harness last year. Those RXV "Grelims" are very hard animals to catch, corrosion has always been the cause for replacement.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
Captim1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

More info on my problem;
On top of the above issue I found the green charge light is on without the charger being plugged in.

I thought about getting a hand held to help, any recommendations?
Old 12-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Charge port is bad. Controller thinks cart is plugged in. Try giving it a love tap and see if the light goes off and the cart runs.

Edit. Went and found this post. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...eceptacle.html

Small wire coming from the bottom of the port needs pack + for the cart to run.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO