lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2020, 05:28 AM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT48 vs RXV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorKicker View Post
thanks for all the comments guys but y'all are talking way over my head. And the cart in my signature is GONE. I traded it away for a Willys jeep.

This will be a new cart that I don't plan to modify near as much as my old cart if at all. I am thinking rear seat, premium light kit and maybe rims. NO Programer or new motor FR switch or any of that. Maybe set it to freedom setting nothing more.

I want to know if I should go with the TXT48 or an RSV

Thanks again
A post-2012 Curtis controlled RXV is the best option if you don't want to spend a lot on upgrades, yet want the performance and speed. With stock 18" tires and reprogrammed stock controller, it's a 27-28 MPH beast. The same cart with 20.5" tires loses some torque from the taller tire, but is still decent torque and can hit 32-33 MPH. The controller can be reprogrammed by mail in those cases. 21" tires can be supported, but requires being tuned in person to remap the controller, as it is beyond the limits of the stock motor maps. It can cause drivability issues if not remapped.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #12
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

still thinking this thing through and maybe I am overthinking it. One thing I know from experience is that a cart will eventually have a problem. my question: is it true that if you have a problem with the RXV, the cart will simply lock up because of the electric brake?

If that is the case, I feel I must go the TXT48 route. I know I'll have a problem one day even if its just that the batteries died out in the neighborhood somewhere.
DoorKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:27 PM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Its true
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:53 PM   #14
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Its true
that's kind of a big thing isn't it?

So one more question. About how fast will a TXT48 set to freedom mode, or whatever it is, with 20" tires be?

Thanks, I am about ready to make a choice and post new pics
DoorKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Its true
Seems a bit odd.....but is there a work around for that?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #16
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Seems a bit odd.....but is there a work around for that?
My owners manual says that in the case of a complete power failure to access the auxiliary power connection underneath the controller cover with the run/tow switch and change a plug connection to supply temporary power to the motor brake to release it for towing. I've never had to do that (yet) and don't know how long that "temporary" power lasts for before it too discharges.
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #17
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorKicker View Post
still thinking this thing through and maybe I am overthinking it. One thing I know from experience is that a cart will eventually have a problem. my question: is it true that if you have a problem with the RXV, the cart will simply lock up because of the electric brake?

If that is the case, I feel I must go the TXT48 route. I know I'll have a problem one day even if its just that the batteries died out in the neighborhood somewhere.
The electric brake is controlled by a magnet. For safety reason the the default position of the brake is ON. To release the brake, the brake coil is energized and becomes a magnet that pulls back on the brake disk to release the brake.

If the magnet does not have or loses power, the brake will be ON and cart will not move.

Depending on the type of failure, there are clearly visible simple instructions written above the controller on how to release the brake. All you do is unplug plug two and connect to plug 4 and connect plug one to 3. The plugs are easily accessible and clearly labeled.

The above process routes power from the batteries direct to the brake coil to release the brake so cart will roll. However, this obviously will not work if batteries are completely dead (well beyond the low voltage you would get if you simply drove the cart until it quit as there would still be enough power to release the brake in that case even if not enough to run the cart).

Also, if the brake itself failed, you might not be able to release it (depending on how it failed).

If you can't get the brake to release you would have to remove the brake which is not hard. You simply unplug the wire and remove 3 1/4" bolts. It is pretty easy to access if you remove the driver side rear wheel.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #18
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it were me I'd go TXT48. Stock it did fine. When you want more speed drop in the Alltrax 300 or 400.

I have a TXT48 with 23" tires, lithium pack and the Alltrax XCT300 (smallest one they sell) and I have my cart RPM limited to keep the speed under 30. With the lift and bigger tires the cart is really no fun to drive at 30 or more.

I understand that my cart on lithium is apples to oranges comparison, but I'd still go TXT48. Simpler design.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:09 PM   #19
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When I sold my first TXT a couple years ago, my new cart hadn't come in yet. My cart guy loaned me a 2014 RXV to use until it showed. I really didn't care for it. Sure it had more hill power, but I didn't like the way the brakes work. I want to use them as I need, not when the cart says stop. I couldn't get used to the throttle response. There was a weird lag in response time I just couldn't get used to either. My TXT48 came in and I was in Heaven. Plenty of power and I could use the brakes like I need to [I like riding in the boonies and brake control helps on the hills]. My friend tweaked it a bit with his hand held unit for a bit more torque and speed. I love the simplicity of the TXT also.
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #20
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When I sold my first TXT a couple years ago, my new cart hadn't come in yet. My cart guy loaned me a 2014 RXV to use until it showed. I really didn't care for it. Sure it had more hill power, but I didn't like the way the brakes work. I want to use them as I need, not when the cart says stop. I couldn't get used to the throttle response. There was a weird lag in response time I just couldn't get used to either. My TXT48 came in and I was in Heaven. Plenty of power and I could use the brakes like I need to [I like riding in the boonies and brake control helps on the hills]. My friend tweaked it a bit with his hand held unit for a bit more torque and speed. I love the simplicity of the TXT also.

Edit: Sorry about the duplicate post. Computer got me. I don't know how to remove it.
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO