lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #1
ellaucb
Not Yet Wild

Default VIN verification help - California

Newbie here! Have a Yamaha G29, 2016 electric golf cart.
Working on making it street legal after getting a warning from a motorcycle cop that I need plates in order to drive it in my gated neighborhood.

I was able to get a Certificate of Origin, VIN number and have completed all the necessary steps to make vehicle a LSV.

So, now I need a VIN verification and the person gave me a list of things I needed including an "EMISSION LABEL TEST GROUP OR ENGINE FAMILY NUMBER."

Am I mistaken in that an electric vehicle won't have this??? How should the form be completed properly so I won't run into trouble when trying to register at the DMV???

Thank you in advance.
ellaucb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: VIN verification help - California

I would agree with your guess that EV's don't need emissions labels but afterall, you're talking California. :-)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
ellaucb
Not Yet Wild

California comment is painfully true......just trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I pay the mobile VIN verifier to come out.
ellaucb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #4
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Has anyone ever made a golf cart truly street legal? I'm not referring to the villages or anything like the villages.
The car doesn't have a VIN number. It has a serial number.
It doesn't have a a DOT approved windshield or the required safety features.
I get that folks drive on the streets but at the end of the day it isn't street legal.
Has anyone gotten around that?

I see companies advertising cars as "street ready" but they aren't street legal.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I don't think it can be done - at least in most states. Too many missing safety features and they don't go fast enough for most roads other than side streets.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I don't think it can be done - at least in most states. Too many missing safety features and they don't go fast enough for most roads other than side streets.
That has always been my take on it.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstacy View Post
Has anyone ever made a golf cart truly street legal?
YES ( you didn't say in the US... ) All things you mentioned are the same as here in the old world, but since some years we've a official classification for lightweight vehicles from the EU (L6/L7). My cart has this with all necessary documents! For all missing or not approved stuff (windshield, belts etc.) you'll get an exemption. VIN no. = serial no.

Is there nothing similar possible within any state?
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Is there nothing similar possible within any state?
I cant say yes or no but not in any state that I am aware of which isn't saying much. I'm familiar with maybe 3 states. That's why I asked. Mostly just curious.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are classifications for NEV ( Neighborhood Electric Vehicles) & LSV (Low Speed Vehicles). DOT regulations specify windshield, signal lights, windshield wipers, seatbelts and all. Still restricted to roads posted 35 mph or less. Individual states, cities or county may have rules of their own that will allow a golf cart with lesser equipment to be used on certain roads. Check with local law enforcement.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #10
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds pretty similar, different states with different regulations. I've had finally success in Bavaria, 450mls away. The lightweight vehicle classification here is close to a LSV ( up to *350Kg, up to 45Kmh ).
*Without batteries
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha