lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #1
Woodkitten
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default How screwed am I? Blown piston?

My son was driving the golf cart and it was sluggish and not running right. It ran fine a few weeks ago and there isn't any old leaks or fluid leaks on the garage floor under the cart. Piston seem to have shot through the engine
How screwed am I? This is the vegas cart 625cc ZS engine/var/folders/py/by6s0wk92fjb89zhm3lk4jqwvsgrv4/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_2929.jpeg/var/folders/py/by6s0wk92fjb89zhm3lk4jqwvsgrv4/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_2930.jpeg
/var/folders/py/by6s0wk92fjb89zhm3lk4jqwvsgrv4/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_2934.jpeg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2929.jpg (201.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2930.jpg (169.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2932.jpg (140.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2934.jpg (164.1 KB, 0 views)
Woodkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: How screwed am I? Blown piston?

Really screwed.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:23 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The question how bad other parts inside are. Blocks can be repaired. BUT if the crank or cylinder head are damaged that may be the end as I don't know if they are available. BUT compared to rebuilding some of the old stockers a new 625 is $850 with no core charge and free shipping OR with a little reverse engineering a 390-460 clone could be fitted.You have the clutch, engine mounting plate ETC so that could be done for less $. The bright side is the total $'s are about the same if you had a sparky and needed the batteries replaced. P.S If you go the 625 route I would add the billet rod. Along with that if you go to the 390-460 clone again the billet rod is an absolute must IMHO. I see your cart is lifted and that seems to be where a LOT of 625s failed. How level did you get the engine.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:18 PM   #4
Woodkitten
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the quick response. I did get the engine from Vegas Carts when they were in Vegas, Now they are in Florida. Yeah the cart is pretty lifted. I am not opposed to going with smaller engine if its more reliable. We live in a pretty hilly area in Southern California so I did need a power/torque. I really at this point want the least expensive fix that is recommended by the experts. I am hoping a lot of the parts are salvageable. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Sorry I re read and you asked how level the engine is. Hard to say but from eye balling it looks level maybe a little raised in the rear. Could be a hard oil read then. There aren't any leaks and it had been sitting for a bit.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:35 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I guess when you open it up a lot of questions will be answered
Old 09-28-2021, 07:42 PM   #6
Woodkitten
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you think the clones would be the best bet now especially if we are moving on from taking it off road? and would/could the clones be a pretty easy install now that I already have all of the mounting hardware in the cart? Really looking for the easiest fix. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It is no secret that I am a BIG fan of the 390-460 clone engines. There are all kinds of spares and race parts. And with some mods you can really beat on them without issues. I have been running my VC 460 since 2014 with the upgrade on it to the long rod in 2016. My main issue with the heavy mods was finding a fuel pump that could take Ray beatings. The Holley Mighty Mite 12-426 solved that.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:20 PM   #8
Woodkitten
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks again for all the advice. If I can find a VC 460, is the size very close to ZS? Meaning could someone with limited automotive skills be able to swap out these engines easily? And I saw what your talking about with the replacement zs for $850. Would that be a super easy engine replacement?
Old 09-29-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The 625 would be a direct bolt in BUT as you have seen the cast connecting rod seems to be prone to failure. That is why I suggested getting the billet rod for the 625 from Vegascarts to really eliminate that issue. The 390-460 clones will fit BUT the exhaust will need to be modified and the second part of the engine mount will not be needed. The other question is do you still have the original S/G and if so both the mount for it along with the S/G pulley for clutch will be needed.Another issue there is which clutch you have the comet 780 or the CVtech. The comet 780 and the pulley are fine not so sure about the CVtech as it is about an inch wider.There are installation instructions for the 460 on your cart on the VC site where you can review what you have versus what needs to be changed.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #10
Woodkitten
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok last questions. In a nut shell, the 625 replacement engine with this connecting rod upgrade would be the easiest install with little to no other modifications? what would be a reasonable price for a golf cart shop or mechanic to charge for this engine replacement and is the connecting rod easily installed as well?
Again greatly appreciate the help and advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1203.jpg (140.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO