lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
dieselcowboy
Not Yet Wild

Default 1986 odd running problem

Hi fellas, My 86' Marathon is giving me fits. Just about in desperation to find the problem.
Its been in our family at least 20 years. My dad was running it and it just quit on him. I got ahold of it and found no spark so first thing I did was Print a manual on it.
Long story short I have it running but not very well. It idles ok but as soon as the gas pedal is pushed past the brake pedal level it starts backfiring and loosing rpm / power. Does this in forward and reverse.
Here is what I have done to the cart because of this....

Honed cyl and installed new piston, gaskets on top end (piston was scored and blown head gasket)
Replaced crank seals
New fuel pump and carb
New coil
New pulsar
New spark plug
Cleared fuel lines
Removed muffler and cleaned inside and out.
Adjusted everything by the book except for the timing. Its still where is has been for the whole time we owned it. Checked over wiring about 100 times.
Have not replaced ignitor or voltage regulator. I am very familiar with mechanics and just can not for the life figure this one out. Any help is surly appreciated guys.
dieselcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 odd running problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcowboy View Post
Hi fellas, My 86' Marathon is giving me fits. Just about in desperation to find the problem.
Its been in our family at least 20 years. My dad was running it and it just quit on him. I got ahold of it and found no spark so first thing I did was Print a manual on it.
Long story short I have it running but not very well. It idles ok but as soon as the gas pedal is pushed past the brake pedal level it starts backfiring and loosing rpm / power. Does this in forward and reverse.
Here is what I have done to the cart because of this....

Honed cyl and installed new piston, gaskets on top end (piston was scored and blown head gasket)
Replaced crank seals
New fuel pump and carb
New coil
New pulsar
New spark plug
Cleared fuel lines
Removed muffler and cleaned inside and out.
Adjusted everything by the book except for the timing. Its still where is has been for the whole time we owned it. Checked over wiring about 100 times.
Have not replaced ignitor or voltage regulator. I am very familiar with mechanics and just can not for the life figure this one out. Any help is surly appreciated guys.
These engines don't idle. Make sure your piston is in correct. Remove exhaust and look in cylinder. If you see the rectangle hole in piston you have it in wrong.
Make sure you have the pulser coil wired correct also. If wrong it throws the timing out and won't run.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
dieselcowboy
Not Yet Wild

I know I've got the piston in correctly. Eureka on the pulsar wiring. I put it back just as the old one came out and never thought any more about it. Going to swap red and blue wires and see if that helps. I know it works on the HEI deal. Maybe it will work here also.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:01 AM   #4
dieselcowboy
Not Yet Wild

Most of these don't get followed up on. Swapping pulser wires fixed the problem. No more backfire and back up to running great.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Thanks, we do appreciate the follow ups from people.
Some ya just never hear from again.....
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:50 AM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Just read this thread, glad you got it running and yeah Thanks for the follow up. We like the winning success stories
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:54 AM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcowboy View Post
Most of these don't get followed up on. Swapping pulser wires fixed the problem. No more backfire and back up to running great.
Always glad to hear good news. Thanks for letting us know.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO