lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
rookie069fork
Not Yet Wild

Default ez go 2 cyc gas will not start when hot

The cart will not start when it gets hot after you shut it off. It has no problem starting when it is cold. I have cleaned carb, new spark plug, and rebuilt the starter. It has a new selnoid, and I put new gas in. I am thinking it may be the coil. But it only happens when it is hot. Coils fail hot or cold. I have also put an new muffler, fuel pump, and voltage regulator on this cart. The cart does run very hot, but I checked the fins and they are clear. It does have alot of exhaust fumes. But I was told this was normal for my cart. thank you would appreciate any help. this cart is used at our camper...
rookie069fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
TeamRMS
Hey Wally, its the Beaver

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ez go 2 cyc gas will not start when hot

What year is the cart, when you say it wont start hot, is it cranking over but not firing or is it not cracnking over at all?
TeamRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
rookie069fork
Not Yet Wild

It will not start or turn over until you let it sit and cool down. It runs fine and it starts fine when cold. I have used starting fluid and got it started, but it would not stay started or move. I am stumped. It is a 1989 two cycle and it will crank, but will not turn over when it is hot. It has always ran hot, but it just started doing this at the end of camping season.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
redneck95
Getting Wild
Club Car

coil
redneck95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
rookie069fork
Not Yet Wild

That is what i was thinking also, but i was not sure if it was the stator or the staring coil. I thought a coil would only act up when it you first tried to start it cold, that is why I was stumped. I also thought it would be a bad selneoid, but I did put a new one on.
Thanks for all the help
Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
nomo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie069fork View Post
It will not start or turn over until you let it sit and cool down. It runs fine and it starts fine when cold. I have used starting fluid and got it started, but it would not stay started or move. I am stumped. It is a 1989 two cycle and it will crank, but will not turn over when it is hot. It has always ran hot, but it just started doing this at the end of camping season.
A little confused here, you say it will crank but will not turn over. Crank and turn over are the same thing. I'm guessing that your mean it cranks, but will not fire and keep running? Check the compression when it's cold, and then again when it's hot. You might have very low compression. You should also try starting it in reverse, sometimes the compressoin is a little higher in reverse, due to all the wear running forward.

If compression is good, try venting the gas tank when it's hot. It the tank cap vent is not working correctly, the tank will be under a vacuum and the pump can't suck the fuel.

nomo
nomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
rookie069fork
Not Yet Wild

I will try all of those suggestions. I never thought of the gas cap. It is the one with the float and needle in the cap to show the amount of fuel in the tank. I have never have never checked the compresson, because i did not know that the compression had anything to do with the car not starting when it got hot. I also did not know enough to start the car in reverse. I know it will crank when it is hot, but it will not fire, although I never pulled the plug to see if it was firing. All i know is that when it get hot, which only takes about 20 mins it runs fine when it is hot. But the minute you stop the car and it is hot after turning it off it does not start. Thanks for all the help I will try all the things I have been told this weekend when I go to the camper..
tom
Old 02-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
rmf350
Not Yet Wild

rookie069fork
Did you ever get the cart running I have the same thing going on
it is driving me nuts trying to figure it out.
thanks
rmf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:25 AM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmf350 View Post
rookie069fork
Did you ever get the cart running I have the same thing going on
it is driving me nuts trying to figure it out.
thanks
It would be easier to diagnose, if you start another thread, tell us the year of the cart, and your exact symptoms. It would also help to know what you have already done to it.
Not starting, and not cranking over are two completely different problems. It's also impossible to diagnose your cart from somebody else's six year old description.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #10
rmf350
Not Yet Wild

cart around thanks for the info. I am new to this site and I was reading these old posts because it is the same thing my cart is doing.

1989 ez-go gas 2 cycle robin engine
it will start and run fine when cold as soon as you stop and let the motor die it will not start up again, it will crank and crank but will not fire.
compression is about 125 hot and cold forward and reverse, new fuel pump,carb,crankcase seals are new.

sorry for going on the old post I don't know if I can start new ones yet being new to the site.
thanks for any help.
rmf350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1989 ez go two stroke
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO