lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 48v conversion gone bad :-(

Ok, finally went for the conversion, and now I am stuck. I am pretty sure i screwed up on the solenoid. most likely the small terminals that connect to the controller. The set up or terminal locations is different from my old solenoid, so I kinda guessed. Figured I had a 50/50 chance. right now I get a low voltage warning and no cart movement. I switched them around and no change. Did blow something ? anyone got a wiring diagram that show where the small wires coming from the controller goes and connects to the small posts on the solenoid.
aloha
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: 48v conversion gone bad :-(

Well didn't want to hear that Joe, But we need to know what cart, solenoid, and controller, --maybe you didn't hurt anything
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauistardog View Post
Ok, finally went for the conversion, and now I am stuck. I am pretty sure i screwed up on the solenoid. most likely the small terminals that connect to the controller. The set up or terminal locations is different from my old solenoid, so I kinda guessed. Figured I had a 50/50 chance. right now I get a low voltage warning and no cart movement. I switched them around and no change. Did blow something ? anyone got a wiring diagram that show where the small wires coming from the controller goes and connects to the small posts on the solenoid.
aloha
joe
I am certainly no expert but I am pretty sure one of the wires from the LARGE terminal goes to the controller, and the other goes to the battery. The small terminals are the activation circuit and that should be the blue and yellow wires as least this is how it is on my 2004 PDS. That is if you have a PDS. Don't change anything based on my advice though. And pictures of your wiring would help a little bit.
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
BLakeside
Gone Wild

Joe I have a Wiring diagram for the 512E I saw you posted a cable diagram but they cover different areas I just stripped everything from my 512e down to the frame. Most all wires are factory marked on mine. Let me know if you need the wiring dia. These pic may help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3276.jpg (140.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3277.jpg (120.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3280.jpg (121.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3281.jpg (116.2 KB, 10 views)
BLakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
BLakeside
Gone Wild

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Melex512E_wiring_diagram.jpg (86.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone,...Blakeside, are all the small wires coming from the controller connected to the small solenoid post closest to the FnR switch ? I am dealing with pretty much what you show. I upgraded to a Heavy duty 48v solenoid and a 700 amp logitech controller, and HD FnR. I ran the controller and FnR on the 36v up until last week. I pulled the batteries and put new ones in along with the new solenoid. here are the some picks. On my old solenoid. the small red wires went to one of the small terminal and the black wires went to the other. I honestly don't know what the small terminal on the solenoid do The old solenoid had the small terminal going side to side with the big ones front and back. The new one has all four going back to front. For all I know the thing was wired front from the start.

mahalo everyone your help
joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid1.jpg (47.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid2.jpg (45.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid4.jpg (45.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
rib33024

the to small post, one gets a pos and the other one gets neg --48v to make the solenoid work

looks like the charger wire is on the wrong terminal on the solenoid
Old 11-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #8
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It works

I had the charge wire connected to the wrong large terminal on the solenoid. I went back found this old pic. of my solenoid all wired up. At first I was only looking at the how the wires from the controller were set up and then noticed the wire from the charge receptacle was on the rear large terminal and should have been at the front near the FnR. feel like an idiot and should have labeled the wire from the start. lesson learned. But I still don't know what the small post on the solenoid do and what the right way to test them if needed. anyway another day. Its late and can't wait to see how fast the cart goes.

aloha
joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid1.jpg (103.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-29-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
rib33024

This will help you under stand how it works .

Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
BLakeside
Gone Wild

Joe as RIB posted, the solenoid is just a electrically operated switch. The small terminals are the same on both old and new solenoid. The location they are mounted means nothing. They don't have specific polarity. Either one can be plus+ or minus- . As long as you reconnected the same wires on each terminal it should work. One solenoid terminal must have 36 or 48 positive voltage *.The other solenoid terminal goes to Battery pack minus - .Positive on one terminal and negative on the other = a connection between the two large terminals. *The positive power on the 512E comes from the key switch then through two micro switches,one on the FnR and the other on the go pedal (pot box).

Mahalo
Barry
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO