lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Junk Rider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default I've got the need... the need for speed.

I have a 1995 ez-go / Jacobsen gxj-810 utv with a 295cc robins engine in it with 22in tires and wanted to know if anyone out there knew of any tricks on how to get some more speed out of it? for cheap.
Junk Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Junk Rider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy Re: I've got the need... the need for speed.

Come on no one has any ideas on how to make it go faster. Its basically a beefed up ez-go marathon 1975-1993 with a 295cc robins engine in it. All I want is to keep up with my buddies old atv.
Junk Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: I've got the need... the need for speed.

have you searched? short belt, governor mods with a tach, come to mind on the cheap.all in all that motor will always produce 9hp. but beating a 4 wheeler? not gonna happen
882001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...4-strokes.html
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

The only way you will be able to keep up with your buddy's atv is to tie your cart to his four wheeler or get an equivalent machine..... The 9 horse robins is what it is... The gov. mod. will help your top end speed and the shorter belt will give you some added torque but neither will get you a whole lot.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

my 616lb kawasaki praire 400 would run 57 with 30 hp. that would be scary as hell in a cart.
882001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
loflyer2880
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am going to give this a try in the am. Sounds like a easy tweak for some top end.
loflyer2880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
NutDriver
Not Yet Wild

I have a friend who worked for EZ Go back in the late 80s. He said that the exhaust chokes the engine horribly. He said that in order to get down to the mandated decibel level (65db?), that SIGNIFICANT power was lost.
I don't know much about this particular engine (3PG?), but I do know a fair amount about 2-cycle engines. Since they don't have valves, the resonant wave that sets up in the exhaust is how you tune the horsepower. Considering the "straw" that the exhaust exhales through, I can't imagine that an exhaust mod wouldn't significantly increase the power. How much? I don't know. The porting in a two cycle also significantly changes the power delivery. Port height is much like timing in a four-cycle. Change it too much, and you don't make any compression because what is the equivalent of your intake valves and the equivalent of your exhaust valves are open at the same time, or open too long, etc. Two cycle engines are nothing but air pumps, but there is certainly a black art to getting more out of them. I've been considering gutting my current exhaust (1990 Marathon) and seeing what that does. If that doesn't do much, I'll put a larger "stinger" on it (exhaust outlet pipe from muffler). If that doesn't do much, then I'll move on to a tuned pipe. Depending on how this goes, maybe a larger carb.
Don't forget that a stronger spring in the clutch will help with bottom end. 2-cycles need RPM to make HP and having the clutch engage just off idle isn't helping.
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ez-go 295, jacobsen, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO