lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #31
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: #1 battery loses charge

It's logical that there is a draw from the F&R lead.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #32
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Actually #6 dropped more. (6.43 - 6.18 = 0.25 while 6.63 - 6.29 = 0.34)

Also, the rest time after charging is 12 Hours, but the rest time needed after discharging is only 1/2 hour (30 Minutes).

Only waiting 6 hours after charging made the "Before" voltage a bit high, however the 2 hour rest after discharging is okay.

The rest time is needed for the battery voltage to stabilize after being charged or discharged.
When a 36V battery pack is charged, the voltage climbs to about 45V before the charger shuts off. That results in what is known as a surface charge and it take upwards of 12 hours for it to deplete. On the other hand, when a 36V battery pack is discharged, the pack voltage decreases. How far it decreases depends on how many amps are being drawn from the pack. The pack voltage starts slowly recovering the instant the load is removed, and most of the recovery occurs in the first 15 minute, but it continues to recover for an hour or more. At 30 minutes, the recovery is over 95% complete.

The red wire to MS2 on the F/R assembly draws power from the entire pack whether it goes through the red switch or bypasses the reed switch.

The new battery in the #1 slot may not have been fully charged in just 4 hours. It should have had the highest "Before" voltage of the lot.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #33
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

okay agreed. But here is what I would do in the interest of science
Because I believe a parasitic draw is the culprit.
Run your test as JB suggests. Carefully record the new data. let the cart sit 24 hours and record the data. Now recharge, record data run test, record data, DISCONNECT the cart from the pack - let it sit and record the data.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #34
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

JohnnieB the number 1 battery is the one with the big drop...

OK..The new battery I mentioned is about 3 months old but used very little. I put them in a cart here in the camp ground myself and shortly after the cart broke in half so I bought 4 of them. But you are probably right in saying the newer battery didn't have time to fully charge.

I have a couple more batteries that are this years batteries and I will put them in the cart with the 4 newer batteries and do the test that you and ScottyB suggest.

In my mind though the batteries I am taking out of the cart are good even though they are several years old...In the past month I have tested all of them quite a few times with meter (with don't mean a lot) but also with a load tester and gravity tester.

I will get back to you in a couple days with the results of the testing..

Thanks so much guys...

Bill
ncseadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #35
sunking
Gone Wild

Well you are learning something us ole battery guys know. You just do not replace one battery in a serial string, you replace all of them. Batteries in series are just like a chain, and your battery string is only as good as the weakest battery in the string.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #36
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You may want to give added recharging to the low battery after each test round just to keep the results fair and the batteries happy. Ideally all 6 would be within .10v of each other.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #37
sunking
Gone Wild

Or better yet if your charger has an Equalize Setting just EQ the batteries.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #38
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
Not many factory golf cart chargers come with this feature - Reading thru this thread, I'm pretty certain he doesn't have this option.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #39
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Not many factory golf cart chargers come with this feature - Reading thru this thread, I'm pretty certain he doesn't have this option.
About the closest to equalizing that people with the chargers typically used with golf carts can do is initiate a second (or more) charge cycle(s) after the first charge cycle terminates.

The way I did it was put pack on charge at night and then restart the charger the next morning.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #40
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I know and that is sad IMO because an EQ charge is one of the most important preventative maintenance functions one can perform on flooded lead acid batteries. The manufactures do not give the customer the ability to do that.

But at the same time I understand why they don't. Chargers would cost the manufacture more, and battery manufactures/dealers would not be able to sell as many replacement batteries otherwise if charger had EQ and Float settings.

Fortunately if you know, you can buy them at additional cost. Some cart chargers you might be able to Hack and make them work. Never tried though or looked at the schematics to see if it is possible. I just use salvage Telecom Battery Rectifiers I get for free from work. Those have two settings Float and EQ and both are adjustable to match any battery manufacture requirement.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO