lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
surfdog
Gone Wild

Default VC clone running problem

Hi all, I have a new weird problem. I've got a 99 ezgo with a Vegas Carts Clone, stock except for a billet rod. It has run fine for several months but has suddenly developed an issue. When I go down a very steep hill and then onto the flat, the cart will run a couple hundred feet and seems to run out of fuel and quits. It then either has to sit or I can pull the choke and get it to start and then it will run fine including climbing back up the same hill. I can drive it all over just fine unless I go down another steep hill and the the same thing happens. I checked the fuel filter, it's fine. I checked the fuel pump, it seems fine (new when I put the motor in) so I thought the float might be sticking, took the carb apart and cleaned it but that didn't help. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?
surfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: VC clone running problem

You are running out of fuel.

When you go down hill, the severe angle is making the float have an angle too, shutting the fuel off, and it will run on the fuel that's left in the bowl. When that runs out the bowl must refill with fuel. So when you hit the bottom of the hill on the flat, the bowl is now able to refill with fuel. You have to crank it because the fuel pump is activated by internal engine vacuum. Cranking the engine will fill the bowl. Drive away.

One way to fix this is to adjust the angle of the carb to counteract this. Or, you can adjust the float so that the steep hill won't turn off the fuel. You'll have to play with that to get it right. Your engine/carb may be mounted in a different configuration than mine, but if you can post a photo I might be able to tell you which way to go.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Most atv and utv vehicles have electric fuel pumps so this doesn't happen. Older dirt bikes had a gravity feed carb, the tank was above the carb and fuel would just flow downhill to the carb. Our golf carts don't have either, so we have to get creative for hills.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Did it always do this or could you do hills before with no issues?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
surfdog
Gone Wild

It didn't do this before. I should have said earlier that I live at the top of a steep hill, so steep that tourists take a look at it and decline to go up or down it. People won't believe it when I tell them but it's like a 32 percent grade. There is a less steep road that goes down through the village but it does it on that road too. Last year, it never had a problem on the same two roads. Also I should add, I discovered that I punched a small hole in the air cleaner which I repaired when I cleaned the carb. Maybe a new carb is in order. Have you had problems with yours on hills Slo?
Old 01-31-2016, 11:10 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Does it stall going uphill?

I haven't had any troubles with stalling at all, and I've had several engines in my cart over the years. My proving grounds are in Southern Ohio near the Wayne National Forest and the hills are very very steep. Similar in description to yours, people don't want to go down them. ATV's even have a tough time if they aren't going fast.

I suppose it's possible that your carb is dirty, but it would have running issues all the time, not just on a hill. It still sounds like a float issue.

Is your engine mounted level? Or is it angled toward the rear?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check for a plugged fuel tank vent. They are usually in the gas cap. Needing more throttle, it uses more gas and may be partially clogged and your not getting enough gas.
Streetbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #8
surfdog
Gone Wild

I'll check the gas cap vent. The cart is lifted and the motor seemed to sit at a pretty radical angle when I first set it in place so I put a piece of 1 inch square tubing under the back of the motor and though it is still slightly sloped back it is closer to level. Hmmm...thinkin'
Old 02-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If the engine is tilted toward the rear now, when going uphill/downhill that angle is increased, especially a very steep hill. So if the carb shutoff needle is on the rear side of the cart, then going uphill will cause the fuel to shut off. Downhill will cause the opposite, so maybe the shutoff needle is on the front side? The fuel will actually slosh to the rear/front, raising the float, pushing the needle into the seat, causing fuel to stop flowing into the bowl. As the cart speeds up it uses more fuel, and the bowl will run dry. Vehicle will stall. At the top/bottom of the hill, the cart will be more level, causing the needle to open and let more fuel into the bowl. Vehicle cranks, creates vacuum to the fuel pump, pumps fuel into carb, cart starts.

To adjust float: bend the tab connecting to the needle to adjust the height at which the float shuts off fuel. Adjust it away from the needle to give more room.

Fuel tank vent shouldn't have anything to do with fuel in the bowl, unless it is blocked completely, that will not allow fuel to flow once the air inside the tank is under a vacuum. It would take more than a few hundred feet to create that much of a vacuum IMO. But you can check it. Maybe get lucky.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #10
fstg21
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
Hi all, I have a new weird problem. I've got a 99 ezgo with a Vegas Carts Clone, stock except for a billet rod. It has run fine for several months but has suddenly developed an issue. When I go down a very steep hill and then onto the flat, the cart will run a couple hundred feet and seems to run out of fuel and quits. It then either has to sit or I can pull the choke and get it to start and then it will run fine including climbing back up the same hill. I can drive it all over just fine unless I go down another steep hill and the the same thing happens. I checked the fuel filter, it's fine. I checked the fuel pump, it seems fine (new when I put the motor in) so I thought the float might be sticking, took the carb apart and cleaned it but that didn't help. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?
Where is your fuel pump?

Have you cleaned the breather filter lately? (gold thing on the pump)

Is it the stock cart pump?

If so, replace it with a Mikuni, it will pop the seat open until the bowl is completely full.
http://www.amazon.com/Honda-16700-Z0J-003-Fuel-Pump-Assembly/dp/B00AJTUDPO/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1454340063&sr=1-5&keywords=mikuni+fuel+pump http://www.amazon.com/Honda-16700-Z0J-003-Fuel-Pump-Assembly/dp/B00AJTUDPO/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1454340063&sr=1-5&keywords=mikuni+fuel+pump

Also, ethanol fuel can gum up the float pin. You can pull it off and clean the pin and bore. I use scotchbrite and a piece of small dowel or wire to polish the pin bore. It sounds like it's sticking until you get a strong vacuum signal to the pump to pop it back open.

So, check your vacuum hoses to the pump make sure you have a strong leak free signal. (I.E not from the valve cover)
fstg21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vc fuel issue
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps