lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
USNBIP
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1998 DCS Build

Hello everyone. I just started my cart build by ordering a lot of the parts. Have a couple questions in regards to my powerplant. I ordered the following already:

1. Alltrax XCT 400 amp controller
2. HD 200A solenoid
3. Resistor, Precharge for 200A solenoid
4. Diode, 1 amp for 200A solenoid

I need to buy some batteries and a charger. I planned to just go back to 36 or 48 volt deep cycle but started reading on here about the Nissan Leaf conversion.

Since I need to replace batteries and charger it makes since to go that route. I have been reading and checked out the kits from Evbatterycenter. Also found a "kit" on ebay. Can we post ebay links for questions? Will my controller and setup work with a 36 or 48 leaf conversion? Thanks in advance for any help.
USNBIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2018, 12:16 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 DCS Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNBIP View Post
Hello everyone. I just started my cart build by ordering a lot of the parts. Have a couple questions in regards to my powerplant. I ordered the following already:

1. Alltrax XCT 400 amp controller
2. HD 200A solenoid
3. Resistor, Precharge for 200A solenoid
4. Diode, 1 amp for 200A solenoid

I need to buy some batteries and a charger. I planned to just go back to 36 or 48 volt deep cycle but started reading on here about the Nissan Leaf conversion.

Since I need to replace batteries and charger it makes since to go that route. I have been reading and checked out the kits from Evbatterycenter. Also found a "kit" on ebay. Can we post ebay links for questions? Will my controller and setup work with a 36 or 48 leaf conversion? Thanks in advance for any help.
Yes, you can post links for that. I posted a link for a source of 7 module lots of Leaf modules for under $600. It is by no means a turnkey "kit" that is ready to install. You must set it up yourself.

The Alltrax controllers can work with lithium packs. EVbatterycenter is not going to be around once they get rid of the inventory they have left. Nick is no longer around to set up their Battery Management Systems, so complete kits are no longer available. We must take it upon ourselves to set up our own lithium BMS correctly.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:03 AM   #3
USNBIP
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Yes, you can post links for that. I posted a link for a source of 7 module lots of Leaf modules for under $600. It is by no means a turnkey "kit" that is ready to install. You must set it up yourself.

The Alltrax controllers can work with lithium packs. EVbatterycenter is not going to be around once they get rid of the inventory they have left. Nick is no longer around to set up their Battery Management Systems, so complete kits are no longer available. We must take it upon ourselves to set up our own lithium BMS correctly.

Bob
Thanks Bob. I was just reading and found out that about EVbatterycenter. Thats unfortunate. From most my reading it seams in simple form, juice is juice as far as everything is concerned. It doesnt care where it comes from as long as its within limits. One question maybe you can help me with though, my cart is the regen one. Would that effect the conversion at all? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:27 AM   #4
USNBIP
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here is the pack I was looking at on ebay. Seems like a decent price for 10 batteries and a charger. Just have to add a BMS? Any feedback would be great!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36volts-5kw...IAAOSw8FBbC2x7
Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Here is the pack I was looking at on ebay. Seems like a decent price for 10 batteries and a charger. Just have to add a BMS? Any feedback would be great!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36volts-5kw...IAAOSw8FBbC2x7
Yea, a bit high for a system without a BMS. You would be better off with a 7 module Leaf pack for under $600 and adding your own BMS and charger. The BMS can control the charger so you don't have to use an expensive specialty lithium charger. I'm using an onboard charger designed for lead/acid packs. If you take into consideration the usable capacity, a smaller A/Hr lithium pack can match or exceed the usable capacity of a larger lead acid pack. For example, the 155 A/Hr pack of the 4 12V batteries in my RXV, at the current usage rate, works out to be equal to or less than the usable capacity of a single series string of 7 Leaf modules. You can get a compatible BMS for under $50.

Bob
Old 06-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
USNBIP
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yea, a bit high for a system without a BMS. You would be better off with a 7 module Leaf pack for under $600 and adding your own BMS and charger. The BMS can control the charger so you don't have to use an expensive specialty lithium charger. I'm using an onboard charger designed for lead/acid packs. If you take into consideration the usable capacity, a smaller A/Hr lithium pack can match or exceed the usable capacity of a larger lead acid pack. For example, the 155 A/Hr pack of the 4 12V batteries in my RXV, at the current usage rate, works out to be equal to or less than the usable capacity of a single series string of 7 Leaf modules. You can get a compatible BMS for under $50.

Bob
Thanks again Bob. Any recommendations or directions you can point me for the BMS at that price point? Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks again Bob. Any recommendations or directions you can point me for the BMS at that price point? Thanks again.
BMS Board
https://www.ebay.com/itm/302623423033

Lot of 7 Leaf Modules
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113048415727

I don't know the sellers, but I have bought the BMS myself.

A wiring diagram for the BMS...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChinaBMS.jpg (71.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
USNBIP
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
BMS Board
https://www.ebay.com/itm/302623423033

Lot of 7 Leaf Modules
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113048415727

I don't know the sellers, but I have bought the BMS myself.

A wiring diagram for the BMS...
Thanks so much for the help!! Ordered both today. Sourcing the smaller parts now. I cant thank you enough for the help. Hope you dont mind me hitting you up in future as Im sure Ill have a few more questions. Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks so much for the help!! Ordered both today. Sourcing the smaller parts now. I cant thank you enough for the help. Hope you dont mind me hitting you up in future as Im sure Ill have a few more questions. Thanks again.
I don't mind. You can read about my foray into a lithium conversion here...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1505943

That is the first post where I started the lithium conversion of a rescued flood 2008 RXV. I give sources/descriptions of parts and there are pictures of how I use these in the conversion.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:33 AM   #10
USNBIP
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I don't mind. You can read about my foray into a lithium conversion here...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1505943

That is the first post where I started the lithium conversion of a rescued flood 2008 RXV. I give sources/descriptions of parts and there are pictures of how I use these in the conversion.
I believe one of my final pieces is the charger. I was looking at these chargers:

https://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/ind...age&Itemid=605

Any feedback or recommendations towards something different?

Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO