lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2022, 08:27 AM   #11
zmoore
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: All About Batteries

Great write up- thanks for putting this together.

Any explanation as to why to never let the batteries go below 50%? I always charge when I get to about 60% and keep it plugged in daily. That being said, seems a little silly to have a product that only allows you to drive it to 50%.
zmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2022, 06:49 AM   #12
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

you can google it although there really isnt an in depth conversation about it other than that doing so continuously will shorten the life of a battery. trojan had a graphic floating, cant find it, had basically shown that a discharge to 80% daily would have an expected life time of 8 years but a discharge down to 50% daily would have a life span of 3 years.

Also voltage drops below 48v when they get below 50%, I'm sure the carts will run but not sure at what point they just give up because of not enough juice.
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:22 AM   #13
zmoore
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahfah View Post
you can google it although there really isnt an in depth conversation about it other than that doing so continuously will shorten the life of a battery. trojan had a graphic floating, cant find it, had basically shown that a discharge to 80% daily would have an expected life time of 8 years but a discharge down to 50% daily would have a life span of 3 years.

Also voltage drops below 48v when they get below 50%, I'm sure the carts will run but not sure at what point they just give up because of not enough juice.
Thanks for the reply. I reached out to my dealership as well and they confirmed "It is best practice to not go below 50%. You can run it lower, however i would Never ever go below 43 volts. "
zmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #14
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmoore View Post
Thanks for the reply. I reached out to my dealership as well and they confirmed "It is best practice to not go below 50%. You can run it lower, however i would Never ever go below 43 volts. "
I really need to find the image and graphic. If I remember correctly the batteries never get to 43v total, even at 20% SoC (which 20% SoC on traditional 48v total battery set is unusable for driving a golf cart).

Would want to say you dont want to go below 47v and at 20% SoC the batteries is typically around 46v.
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:32 PM   #15
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahfah View Post
I really need to find the image and graphic. If I remember correctly the batteries never get to 43v total, even at 20% SoC (which 20% SoC on traditional 48v total battery set is unusable for driving a golf cart).

Would want to say you dont want to go below 47v and at 20% SoC the batteries is typically around 46v.
SOC Chart on first page. 43V is a dead 48V pack.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:06 PM   #16
holemania
Not Yet Wild

ICON i60l

I have eight 6v Crown batteries (CR-235's). I have followed all the guidelines (break-in, observing percentage and measuring with voltmeter, etc.).

But, when I leave cart/batteries plugged in and don't drive for +/> 2 weeks when I finally unplug and drive the cart, the battery voltage was not topped off...it was about 49-50vdc and it should have been more like 51vdc.

So, I question how well the ICON DeltaQ charger works with the CR-235 (crown) batteries specifically.

I believe it may depend on which "battery profile" is loaded into my charger...I'm not sure.

Also, I question if I should leave the cart plugged in and charging constantly...I don't think the current battery charging logic is keeping my batteries topped off or trickle-charged.

Does anyone have experience with which battery profiles are best for
a) eight 6-v batteries
b) specifically Crown batteries (as opposed to Trojan)

Does anyone have experience with the test cable and software to upload a battery profile.

Is it better to charge til green light comes on (and batteries measure >/= 51vdc) and then un-plug charger and leave the switch under rear seat "OFF"?

Any further guidance appreciated!

Dave
holemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:07 PM   #17
jbloomfield
Not Yet Wild

What kind of voltage sag would you expect for a 48v FLA (Trojan) pack? I have a 2022 i40L and from fully charged the voltage will drop to 43/44v when on a slight incline. I know flooded lead acid suffer from voltage sag, but wasn't expecting it to be quite so great.

Once the SOC is down to say 95% the controller really starts to limit the current draw to keep the voltage above 42v and there is a noticeable drop-off in performance. The cart is 1 month old and I followed the break-in procedures.

Any suggestions?
jbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:06 PM   #18
Lambert
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Good Float Charger

I have been using this charger (see below) to float charge my batteries. I find it to be very well designed and perfect for the application. It runs around $75 for the 4 amp model and can be purchased from most of the electronic supply houses such as Digikey and Allied Electronics. You can see the specs here:

https://www.meanwell.com/productSeries.aspx#tag-6-27

Scroll down and look for the NPB series. I am using the NPB-240-48TB model.
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:51 PM   #19
HDaugus
Not Yet Wild

I use this to keep my batteries charging when not in use

My husband has a old citroen that has a voltage meter that slowly drains the battery when the car has been sitting for a while. Now he uses a trickle charger thingy attached to a solar panel to keep his battery topped off. I wonder if one could use something similar for the Icon for longer term storage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Icon with Solar Panels.jpg (339.9 KB, 0 views)
HDaugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:27 AM   #20
Roadkyng
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Why?
Roadkyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon