lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2022, 02:45 PM   #1
Hoosier_daddy
Not Yet Wild

Default Icon i40 rebuild project

Hey everyone,

These are excellent golf carts. But where can I find parts that’s not the dealer? Are there other golf carts with compatability? The Yamaha G29 looks close as does the Advanced EV. I spoke to the dealer and he says it’s hit or miss getting these parts so I’m trying to source these parts on my own.

The golf cart hit a tree stump (prior owner) and broke driver steering tie rod end, Disc rotor, wheel, floor pan, rocker panel, and bent the tubular frame. I know someone with a frame puller so i should be in luck there.

Also does anyone know how to get the rear wheels to spin again once you disconnect the batteries? It sounded like the motor engaged with the diff when I disconnected them. I can’t roll it around now because rear wheels don’t spin. Anyway to trick the motor or do I have to disconnect the motor from the diff?

Not sure why pics are coming out that way
Thanks in advance.
Hoosier_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2022, 03:26 PM   #2
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: Icon i40 rebuild project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_daddy View Post
Also does anyone know how to get the rear wheels to spin again once you disconnect the batteries? It sounded like the motor engaged with the diff when I disconnected them. I can’t roll it around now because rear wheels don’t spin. Anyway to trick the motor or do I have to disconnect the motor from the diff?
There is an electromagnetic brake that engages when power is cut. You should be able to bypass it easily by just tightening two screws.

Here's my post with a picture, but instead of loosening, you should tighten them. That should essentially press the mechanism back.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showpost...69&postcount=5

You'll want to loosen them back once you get the cart operable again.

You're in new territory I'd imagine for most of us, so it'll be fun to learn and watch you progress.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:10 AM   #3
Hoosier_daddy
Not Yet Wild

Worked like a charm. Thanks ATrain!

I’ll be updating this thread during the rebuild process
Old 03-02-2022, 08:22 AM   #4
Hoosier_daddy
Not Yet Wild

Here’s the floor pan. It’s all one piece from the dash to the battery tray. The drivers side looks pretty gnarly. Some of the holes on the bottom of the floor pan that bolt to the frame also broke. I might epoxy or plastic weld the damage or I’m contemplating on scavenging the battery tray by cutting it out and laying down sheet metal for the floor pan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2F3459ED-9359-47BB-A96C-EA83DD3EC89E.jpg (27.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
Hoosier_daddy
Not Yet Wild

Here’s the front strut and spring. It looks like a Yamaha G29 might work. I don’t have to buy a new one so I can’t confirm it fits but anyone who needs to change or swap one out should look into it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20B3F512-028E-4685-9249-DCF628B02D86.jpg (304.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-02-2022, 10:24 AM   #6
ATrain
Gone Wild

You might consider using ImgBB.com to host the images. When you attach them using buggiesgonewild, there is a massive quality reduction. Either way, happy to learn more though!
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:43 AM   #7
Hoosier_daddy
Not Yet Wild

I tried imgbb but keep getting upload errors

I got the steering rack out. Just 4 bolts in the center 14mm i believe, one 12 mm for the steering input shaft and two tie rod ends with 19mm Castle nuts I believe. The inner and outer tie rod is broken on drivers side. Im going to try another make for compatibility. I’ll show the comparison.

I got the charger connected outside the cart to keep batteries maintained.

Also what do you guys think for wheels and tires? Non lifted or lifted on Street tires. I’m thinking of 205/40/12 on 12” GTW pursuit. Or should I do 14s? My rear end is the 10:1 ratio

Or should I put a lift kit with off-road tires?

Edit: Maybe a 3” lift on 12” or 14” wheels with street tires maybe the way to go
Old 03-03-2022, 12:56 PM   #8
Hoosier_daddy
Not Yet Wild

https://youtube.com/shorts/7pIS4tQVJBw?feature=share

Here is a 30 mph pass, if the speedo was correct.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #9
robertmII
Not Yet Wild

Is that pass with only three wheels? That's a riot.

Making progress!
robertmII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:48 AM   #10
Hoosier_daddy
Not Yet Wild

So here’s an update of where I am at on this project.
I was able to have the frame pulled and straightened.
I got a new wheel called Bulldog that is basically identical to stock
I got a new disc brake from Icon after trying other manufacturers that didn’t fit
I tried the Yamaha G29 rack and pinion and it won’t fit
I tried Yamaha G29 tie rod ends and those fit but I ended up going with the Icon ends since they fit the eye hole of the spindle better.
I was able to get an Icon rack and pinion from eBay
As I started to put everything back together, I discovered the control arm was bent.
Slightly but just enough to throw the alignment of shock to frame off.
So I’m on the hunt for one of those.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon