lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Default Tuning up the 2001 TXT

I just purchased a tune up kit for my TXT. I'll be changing all the filters (including oil filter), the O-ring and the spark plugs. I've never given a golf cart a tune up before. Is there anything I should be mindful of when doing the tune up? My cart runs fine now and I don't want that to change after I make my "improvements". Thanks a lot.
rjwenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: Tuning up the 2001 TXT

if your lifted (like your avator) the dipstick will be incorrect. Only pour in 1.5 qts of oil. the oil level should be about 1/2 between min and max. filling it up to max will cause it to smoke and fill the airbox full of oil.

dont forget to check valve adjustment and check the throttle cables for binding while your there.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Yes, that is my cart in the avatar. Thank you for the tips. I had read I should only put 1.5 qts in a lifted cart, but I wasn't sure where the dipstick should read. I will check the other items as well. Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Remove the oil filter screen on the passenger side. (3 10mm bolts) Clean or replace the filter and reinstall with a new O ring. You will need to jack the cart up on the passenger side & possibly in the rear too to get all the oil to drain out.

Be sure to use good quality 30wt motor oil. Multigrade oil will burn/smoke.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Scottyb - thanks for that tip - I didn't know I'd have to jack the cart up to drain out the oil. I picked up some Castrol 10-30. Is that a suitable oil for the cart?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Remove the oil filter screen on the passenger side. (3 10mm bolts) Clean or replace the filter and reinstall with a new O ring. You will need to jack the cart up on the passenger side & possibly in the rear too to get all the oil to drain out.

Be sure to use good quality 30wt motor oil. Multigrade oil will burn/smoke.
scotty, is the oil filter on the pass side or drivers ???
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The filter is on the driver side. Mid block down low you will see 3 10mm bolts in a triangular plate. Remove the three bolts and with a pan underneath ... give it a pull and out comes the plate and washable filter in one piece. This is the lowest place in the engine as the filter is at the oil pick up tube.... So I don't pull the plug ~ just the filter. and remember all you gorillas out there...... these are 10mm bolts. They need to be wrist tight = 12-15 ft pounds.... just so they squish the new o ring gasket you put back in with the clean filter You strip on of these, looking for bottom, and you will be hating life.

10-30 is not the recommended oil. It is too thin and will burn past the rings. Use 30w hd motor oil... once a yr for most of you guys!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Thanks again for all the info - thought this tune up was gonna be easy :)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwenter View Post
Thanks again for all the info - thought this tune up was gonna be easy :)
IT is ...... relatively speaking. Set valve adjustment .004 cold. If you are unfamiliar with set valve adjustment and can't find somebody to show you how it is best to take the cart to a qualified technician.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Thanks again - I'm not actually concerned about the mechanics of it, but there were a couple of things I didn't know (like I should jack up the cart).

When doing the valve adjustment is it a good idea to change the O-Ring for the valve cover or is that generally salvageable?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO