lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #21
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear end input shaft

I suppose a gear puller would be the best.
go EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #22
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
I went back and reread his thread, and he already removed the motor, because he is saying that he can't get the input shaft out
Maybe hes trying to pull it out with the motor still attached. jk hahahahhaha
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
rib33024

If you put the vise grips on the spline you may not get the motor back on that shaft, you can buy that new shaft and bearing like in the pic i posted, so spray around the bearing area with some PB blaster and let it soak, scrap around the front of the bearing and clean it of, and try NOT TO PRY on the housing to much you do not want to crack it or chip it, what did you mean ------- I don't care if I crack the differential housing as I don't need it anyway?? take you time it will come out

Quote:
Originally Posted by go EZ View Post
Yep. Motor is off. I vise gripped the male 19 spline and tugged a little until I thought I might gall the splines. Then I got a round pry bar with a flat, curved 3/4" pry end and hooked it in the groove of the shaft and leveraged against the differential where the motor bolts to. I pried a few times and no luck.
I hear what you guys are saying, so I'll just keep trying I suppose. FYI...I know I may be taking a chance by leveraging this way, but I don't care if I crack the differential housing as I don't need it anyway.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #24
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It's been PB soaked and cleaned for several weeks now and still no luck. A local GC mechanic told me that he (for stubborn shafts) wraps the male 19 spline with a rag, puts vise grips on it at a 90 degree angle to the shaft and pries on the vise grips with a pry bar. No luck yet for me and the splines are getting galled slightly each time I grab the shaft (by whatever means). I have a female 19 spline hub that i tap onto the male shaft to straighten things up each time I mess with it, so I know the motor will slip back on.
It seems that I must fabricate a simple extraction tool to fit the shaft groove. There's more to it than that, but that is where i'm at now.
EZ GO should have a tool that can grab the shaft groove and quickly pull the shaft regardless if it is stubborn or not. If anyone knows of such s device, please let me in on the secret.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #25
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Mine came out super easy first try. I got a long handled pry bar and placed it behind the splines where the shaft smooths out. The splines create a lip that you can pry on. I then pressed against the middle of the rear diff housing real quick and it just fell out. You could also try using a slide hammer. I am not telling you to do what I did because you can cause damage to your housing if your pry incorrectly just telling you what worked for me!

Colton
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #26
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

if all else fails, you can weld a nut to the end of the shaft and use a slide hammer to get it out. have you tried heating the casing around the bearing? i think there is a freeze plug on the opposite end. you could pop it and drive the shaft out also. if you are trying to save the input shaft, this might be the least expensive way to go.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #27
mistermnkim
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

put the vice grips back on it and put wedge between the grips and the case close as you can to the shaft, then hammer on the grips. I think mine was as stuck as yours and this worked for me, had to work it back and forth a few times once it moved she did come out!!!
mistermnkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #28
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

madoc - Those access plugs are on both sides of the next shaft down. There isn't one for the top (power input) shaft. I will try heating the case...that sounds logical. The welded nut should do the trick if the heating doesn't.
mister - Thanks, but every time I put the grips on they gall the splines a little more. They are soft.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #29
mistermnkim
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes your right I replace the whole shaft so I didnt care about the splines. Another idea is to drill a hole on the back side and tap it out. That was my next move. I was gonna plug the hole after i got it out by threading or using jb weld. I had also found a small rubber plug I was gonna try as well.
mistermnkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #30
rib33024

go EZ I would NOT be drilling a hole in the case of the rear end, the shaft will come out, sounds like you already messed up the sp[line on the shaft so just clamp them vise grips on it and get it out of there, and get a new shaft and bearings
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO