lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
n00b
Not Yet Wild

Default New Cart, Lots of Questions

Just bought my very first cart, and am looking for info. Here's a pic:

Year is 1998, other than that don't know much about it.

1. What kind is it?
2. The paint on the seat support is peeling off really bad. I removed the basket and bag holders, and now it looks like its got leperosy. How to best re-paint? here is a picture:

3. The guy says the batteries are 4 years old and will need to be replaced soon. My daughter drove the cart for about an hour today and the meter went down to about 1/3. Does this sound right? Also, there is A LOT of corrosion on the battery tray and the guy had a board under the cart to catch the drips. Can I wait for a while to change them or is this OK. Pic:

4. The key switch is missing, I ordered a new one that has 4 pins that will also switch the headlights on. Right now the cart has a switch under the seat to turn on the lights. The wiring is broken at the in-line fuse which is completely corroded. If i use a jumper I know the lights work, but I want to change the switch to the ignition key, What kind of fuse to I need? another pic:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: New Cart, Lots of Questions

Thats a 98 TXT -- DCS cart, it needs a good cleaning on the batteries and cables, make sure you keep those batteries charged up, the DCS does not like to run on low volt, the controller will let the smoke out. never run the batteries down below 50%,
Do you have a DVM meter to test the batteries??
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
n00b
Not Yet Wild

I have an analog meter, have not used it. What should I be looking for? What do yo mean "let the smoke out"? Sorry, I am very new at this.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
GreshamCA
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Once you let the factory smoke out the part is dead. I've also heard it called letting the gennie out of the bottle. It's just a nice way of saying you've burned something up.
GreshamCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

looks good. seat backs just need a good scuffing with about 120 sandpaper, then a shot of krylon gloss black. as rib said a good cleaning on the batts. pull them out and wash down the tray. if it is rusted, use some ospho on it to kill that, then paint it. then you should get some spray on bed liner and coat the whole thing well. now is also a good time to change out the original cables with at least 4ga. wire. be sure to do all 13.
those bar graphs are not to accurate, but hour run time sounds about right for what you have right now. when charging, be sure the water levels are good and let the charger run till it shuts it self off, like over nite.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
n00b
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. I'll get a meter and make sure to stay above 36V.

The cart charged fine ON, I'll do some testing before I let the kids run it down anymore!

The battery tray defiantly needs attention, that is the only place I noticed any rust underneath.

About the battery cables, I see 7, where are the other 6? Any advice on where to get Batt. cables? How about batteries if these prove deficient?

I'll have tons more questions I'm sure
Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Is this going to be the start of your build thread or you going to make another one?
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
n00b
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltf1991 View Post
Is this going to be the start of your build thread or you going to make another one?
Gosh I hope not, I was hoping it was pretty much already built!

Seriously, I am just looking for mechanically and structurally sound for now, I'll think about "going wild" after I get a few miles under my belt. This is only my second day owning a cart.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

most of the sponsors at the top of the forum sell the cables. yes all the cables, including the ones to the controller and f/r switch and motor. they should be replaced for two reasons,age and experience. after a numder of years where there are a lot of fumes like those coming from the batts. they get corrode and tired. experience has shown better reliability and power with larger cables. the factory even uses 4 ga. now.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO