lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
frank96hd
Not Yet Wild

Default 93 Marathon tries to move then stops

According to Id plate it is a 93 marathon. 36 volt. It does have the F/R lever and it has a controller and the potentiometer switch mounted beside the solenoid. It does not have a run/tow switch. I am under the impression it is the (series) design. The batteries are New and charged. When I activate the peddle it tries to move (just quivers ) in F and does the same in R , however it wont go. I can put it on jack stands and it will spin the tires (Slowly) in both F and the same in R. I have checked the motor by removing the wires and checking the continuity across the F and S terminals. I have continuity across F1-F2 and the same across S1-S2 and no unwanted continuity any where else as in the test I found in the Sticky posted by scottyb under ezgo diagnostics. I went through the steps in that post "Testing the Electronic speed controller-Series & PDS (NON DCS)" I had 36 volts on the battery side of the Sol. Then when I done the part with Key on and in Forward the voltage dropped to 26 volts.(On the controller side of the sol.) By what I read, it was stating I could have a bad resistor if it dropped below more than 3 volts less than battery voltage. That dont make since being I dont have a resistor cart? (If I understand correctly it will have a resistor or a controller?) mine has a controller I must not be reading it correctly or I am testing using the wrong flow chart? Either way I read more on the forum and checked the Potentiometer reading. This was making since as a possible cause of the problem as I will mention if I work the peddle real slow it spins the wheels faster and faster as long as I move it real slow it seems to get to full speed all the way to the floor. However if I move the peddle to fast it falls out. It dont stop (it just goes slow but it wont pull its own weight if off the jack stands. At this point I checked the Pot. meter and with an ohm meter on the white and black wires it is at 0 then goes to 6000 smoothly with no jumping or jerking however it is a digital meter by increases numbers in good increments all the way up to 6000 I know my questions has probably already been answered on this forum but I have looked and cant find the topic that seems to be like mine?? any help would be sweet!
frank96hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
frank96hd
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 93 Marathon tries to move then stops

Also some more info. I was reading on a test on the controller checking voltage from the B- to the M- It had something like 33 Volts when the Sol clicked then as I moved the peddle down it went to around 12 and that was as low as it would go, Then I done the same test moving the peddle sloooooowly! it went all the way to 0 and to top speed on the jack stands. I repeated this several times and when it went to 0 it was zinging the tires then drop back to a costing speed with the peddle and it would slow down as normal then press the peddle down it would go back to 0 and zinging the tires again. I then put it on the ground it moved 2 foot then I let off the peddle then pressed it again, and it went back to acting stupid! and just shuttering. I jacked the cart back up on the stands then pressed the peddle with the meter still hooked up to the M- and B- and it went back to only 12 volts with the peddle depressed. Start over slowly and it would speed up and drop to a 0 reeding on the meter. This still acts like a Pot meter issue to me so I rechecked the ohm and it was smooth from 0 up to 6000. This cart is possessed!!
frank96hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 93 Marathon tries to move then stops

There may be more than one problem, but it sounds like your new batteries are not fully charged. You stated: I had 36 volts on the battery side of the Sol. That is only about 50% charged, the pack voltage with fully charged batteries will be about 38.2V.

What is the voltage between the main positive and main negative terminals on the battery pack before the pedal is pushed?
What is the voltage between the main positive and main negative terminals on the battery pack after the pedal is pushed?

What is the voltage on the solenoid's battery side large terminal before the pedal is pushed?
What is the voltage on the solenoid's battery side large terminal after the pedal is pushed?

What is the voltage on the solenoid's controller side large terminal before the pedal is pushed?
What is the voltage on the solenoid's controller side large terminal after the pedal is pushed?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO