lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
hickoryhick
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G-16 Cuts out until Governor catches up

Yamaha G-16 1998
Installed a new Primary Clutch, Secondary Clutch with new Sheaves inner and outer. Put a Jakes Spring kit with install.
Carburetor is adjusted to Factory specs.
Governor is close to being correct. Carb is OEM
New Plug (NGK-BPR2ES) and all new belts with install. New Oil in Motor and new Oil in Rear Trans axle.
This has Spicer Rear.
Replaced Alternator Last season.
New Battery last season fully charged.
Also has a Jake's Lift, installed 4 years ago with tires and rims

My problem is the motor runs great, but when you take off it sounds like the Governor is stuck wide open. On flat surface it will speed to Max speed and cut out, then come back on after it slows down. If i'm going up hill no Bog down or cut-out. May spit or sputter when I get to top of hill. Wants to Pop wheelies on take off.
I tried adjusting Governor but the more I turn Clockwise- faster it goes. Turn Counter Clockwise it will not run at all. I did mark original adjustment but tightened a little more.
Either way you try, it's wide open on push of throttle no in between

I bought Cart Used and it was always fairly fast, I never messed with until this point of upgrades. They had a tow hitch with NHRA stickers, so i'm assuming they towed a Sprint Car or something. I've had Cart for about 5 years and always new clutches were slipping and just replaced them. This Winter. Before I replaced it would sorta lock up and jerk and grab until it would go. Then finally it would not go at all.
Any help would be greatful. Thanks
hickoryhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
duramax
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G-16 Cuts out until Governor catches up

if it is a white spring from jakes they are no good talk to don plowman he is the Yamaha guy something goofy with the gov. you may need a jet kit with all the work you have done to it.
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
BamaG14
Getting Wild

Yamaha

My governor is bypassed altogether. Throttle cable runs straight to carb. Unless you just need it to be governed . Just don't run wide open going down hill. I don't have a problem with mine. Just as Duromax said check with Plowman on secondary spring if yours is a white one . I have two of them with unused spacers in my tool drawer . I got plowmans performance kit with larger jets and he sent me I believe a yellow spring and it does great climbing hills without loosing top speed.
BamaG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
hickoryhick
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks very much. I was leaning towards that white spring. It ran fine up till that point. I think there to stiff, they should have a little give. How do I get in touch with Don Plowman? Its a great cart and I have the thing looking good. Hate to loose it.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:53 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

http://www.plowmanscarts.com/
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You saying the throttle is not working it opens the carb WOT, or saying you have to floor it to make it move and engine rpm is going way high to get going?
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
hickoryhick
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

when you push on throttle its all the or its no in between. before I did all this I at least had control of throttle now its max and it wants to POP WHEEELIES.
Gonna change the white spring, I think that's the problem.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:24 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Make sure the throttle cable is working right, it should idle when you just push the pedal not matter what the clutches are doing. If the throttle is stuck on or something it will start running WOT when you push pedal with gen start and then kill when you let off but still be WOT. I wish mine did wheelies I try and managed about 10" one day the next it was only 6" or so. Hope to get new clutch installed at some point have to buy some parts.

All the larger secondary spring does is make it rev more at part throttle, it will not shift out as much at part throttle (will not drop rpm like stock spring). So when you hit the gas it does not bog like stock spring can. Some springs do too much and you can't hit top speeds you used to.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #9
hickoryhick
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

spoke with Don Plowman. Think he has it right. The Jakes spring is junk and the clutch is an aftermarket which is causing the problem
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha