lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
rjg30
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Voltage

Just purchased my first cart. 2012 CC Precedent. I know almost nothing about these vehicles. Looking for an answer on battery charging. Cart is surging after I run it for a couple of miles. I see advice on various forums saying it's the MCOR or the batteries. After batteries are fully charged overnight, they each read between 8.2 and 8.35 volts. Is this good, or are batteries old and need replacing? Thanks in advance for your help.
rjg30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Voltage

I think that is a little low when you just charged them, but I know when the batteries get to a low state it will cause the cart to shutter under load. I have never gotten mine to that point, but my neighbors cart does it routinely and if he doesn't get it back quickly, he calls me to come pull him.

How low is the pack charge when this issue starts to occur?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Wayfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I too have a 2012 Precedent that I recently bought. It has 2015 batteries. They are PD+ batteries from Club Car. Does anyone know if they are decent batteries? After charging and resting for about 12 hrs I get a total pack voltage of 50.4V. Individually the batteries read between 8.40V and 8.42V. If full charge is supposed to be 50.9V, I'm concerned that my charger isn't fully "topping" the pack off. The charger kicks off at 62V and then within a minute the pack is down to 53.2V and continues fall. Is this performance reasonable?

Dennis
Wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

rjg30,
Welcome to BGW, I would say, those batteries could be about used up.

But before any final decisions check out this sticky message and try some of these suggestions.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
rjg30
Not Yet Wild

Same batteries as wayfun. Charged overnight. Checked when I got home tonite

Pack read 49.4
Old 05-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
Wayfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfun View Post
I too have a 2012 Precedent that I recently bought. It has 2015 batteries. They are PD+ batteries from Club Car. Does anyone know if they are decent batteries? After charging and resting for about 12 hrs I get a total pack voltage of 50.4V. Individually the batteries read between 8.40V and 8.42V. If full charge is supposed to be 50.9V, I'm concerned that my charger isn't fully "topping" the pack off. The charger kicks off at 62V and then within a minute the pack is down to 53.2V and continues fall. Is this performance reasonable?

Dennis
I should have stated that the after the charger kicks off the voltage continues to drop until it stabilizes at 50.4V.

Dennis
Wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Let them go through a few charge cycles. Plug up to the charger after every use. Of course check all the battery maintenance items, fluid over plates, corrosion issues, etc.
Link here.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html
Full charge after 12 hr rest should be 50.93V.

Do you know if the batteries are 2012?
5 yrs is about the life of batteries....
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:25 AM   #8
rjg30
Not Yet Wild

Note on cart says batteries from 5-19-15. Checked pack this morning after an overnight charge. 49.9
Old 05-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've had success with a product called Save-A-Battery which I bought recently from J&B Tool Sales. There is an amount of discussion about this on the thread http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...aintainer.html. It is keeping mine at a voltage of 53.3V.

I put it on the pack after the CC charger has finished and it bumps the charge up with a trickle charge and then maintains that charge with a pulse charge that is designed to break up sulfation. It may help to extend the life of your batteries.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #10
rjg30
Not Yet Wild

Charged cart overnight. Pack read 49.9. Hooked up Battery Saver and left on all day. Returned home from work and the pack read 53.8 after disconnecting Battery Saver. Returned to ride cart 15 minutes later and pack read 50.8. Test rode cart for about 4 miles on a relatively flat course. No hills but a couple of gentle rises. Stopped cart and then pressed accelerator again. Cart began to "surge" or run irregularly. Checked pack and it read 47.9 after 4 miles. Do I need new batteries? Thanks for your help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car