lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
quiktripman
Not Yet Wild

Default 81 G1 Muffler getting HOT,HOT,HOT!!!

Hey Gang,My 81 G1 is the same one that I had a thread titled "81 G1 eating grounds". After learning the wiring inside and out, I found the starter/generator to be the culprit.It was caused by the muffler producing SO MUCH HEAT that the starter was geting SO HOT that the stater field wiring insulation closest to the muffler broke down causing it to short directely to starter case ground when load (voltage was applied).I will update my thread for "eating grounds" with more detail after I fix dinner and help with homework. Here is where I'm asking for help,the cart seems to run fine until I notice the seat is starting to burn my ARS,lift the body and see the jacket insulating the brake cables dripping down.THIS CAN'T BE RIGHT.I would think if I had a restriction in the muffler I would be having motor bogging. Is their something else I should be looking at.

Any help would be great,
QUIKTRIPMAN
quiktripman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: 81 G1 Muffler getting HOT,HOT,HOT!!!

If the muffler is getting too hot, it is stopped up. It will ultimately cause a downgrade in performance. Do a search on 'muffler bbq'. It basically involves burning all the soot out of the muffler.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I your brake cable is HOT and is melting. Check your grounds!
The starter should be grounded to the motor and the frame. I've never seen this on a golf cart, but on another piece of equipment the choke cable got HOT. It had become an unstable ground and power was heating it up. We installed proper grounds and the problem dissappeared.
The muffler could be plugged as well, but prerformance is usually compromised.
HOPE? this helps. tony
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
quiktripman
Not Yet Wild

The BBQ sounds good and CHEAP,has anyone ever tried to have it boiled at a radiator shop??? Thanks for the help.Quiktripman
quiktripman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiktripman View Post
The BBQ sounds good and CHEAP,has anyone ever tried to have it boiled at a radiator shop??? Thanks for the help.Quiktripman
I have taken several to the radiator shop with good success.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha