lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Waterman
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 88 ezgo 2cycle engine rebuild

going to rebuild 2cycle anyone know specs or where i can get them for cylinder walls and crank to decide if i can just rebuild top end or if i need complete rebuild. any info would be a great help thanks.
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 ezgo 2cycle engine rebuild

The criteria that most will use in determining whether a rebuild is necessary is a simple compression test. Anything less than 100 psi is more than cause for concern. Should you decide that a top end overhaul is required then your budget will be ~$200 for a new cylinder, piston, gaskets, etc. The dichotomy that you then face is will the bottom end be able to handle the increased load place on it by the improved performance of the top end. It would be a tragedy to replace the top only to blow out the big end or a bearing. A simple, although not infallible test, is to grab the drive clutch and try to lift the engine. If you feel the slightest movement of the crankshaft with relation to the crankcase then you have a crankshaft / main bearing issue. If this is the case then you should look to the complete engine rebuild kit and your budget is now ~$400. If you do decide to overhaul just the top end then I urge you to also replace the crankshaft seals. Worn seal crucify engine performance to the extent that eventually the engine will just not run. (Crankshaft seals are included in the total rebuild package).

Rebuilding the 2PG is an easy and immensely satisfying job. Removing the clutch and the flywheel require some patience and muscle but if you have not done this before there are many talented folks here that will walk you through it. For my part I did the complete rebuild and with a new carburetor and fuel pump my 26 year old Marathon out performs all of my buddies with their 2000+ four strokers (and that is also immensely satisfying).

Whatever you decide this forum is the font of all knowledge so take a leap of faith and jump in the deep end.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
dannys_salvage
Not Yet Wild

How much HP does this 2stroke engine have i also have the 88 model engine pushing a club body & alum frame lol i do know it will haul.....
dannys_salvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Waterman
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

dont quote me on this but i thin they are 8 or 9 horse power i like them cause they are simple to work on and rebuild plus the rpm,s are higher than a four stroke resulting in more top end speed
Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
dannys_salvage
Not Yet Wild

Thanks
dannys_salvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Waterman
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

okay time to rebuild 20psi compresion is not working anybody know where the best place to buy a complete rebuild kit.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
amcjeep
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
okay time to rebuild 20psi compresion is not working anybody know where the best place to buy a complete rebuild kit.
Best deal I could find, it's where I got my kit.

http://www.performancegolfcars.com/e...0-to-1988.aspx
amcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO