lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2022, 06:37 AM   #11
Mpk200
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G29 DR2 48 volt very slow going up hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Very impressive, how fast you got the test results as i've learned here from the big brains, healthy batteries shouldn't drop more than 2 - 3v, even uphill. I think, something went wrong with these Trojans in the past. In a year, they should be better than new ( broken in ). As the performance is bad, i'd recommend to replace the whole pack. Probably with lithium.
Yes im pretty disappointed with the batteries.Less than 12 months old but then again i don’t know the history of how the cart was treated before.

Looking at a full lithium change but need to find out whats good and whats not so good.
I live on a golf course so pretty easy to get out and test the cart.
Mpk200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2022, 06:55 AM   #12
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Something isn't adding up here.
Why would a 4 year old car have a set of batteries that are almost a year old?
In other words, the batteries were changed at 3 years? Odd but not impossible. Especially if they were abused.

That's very strange for a set of Trojan batteries that are less than a year old to be performing like that. Maybe one battery but not the whole set. What charger are you using and have you verified that the charger is working correctly?
Are you getting the battery age from the date code on the negative terminal of the battery?

BTW, Trojan batteries are warrantied for 18 months.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:33 AM   #13
Mpk200
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstacy View Post
Something isn't adding up here.
Why would a 4 year old car have a set of batteries that are almost a year old?
In other words, the batteries were changed at 3 years? Odd but not impossible. Especially if they were abused.

That's very strange for a set of Trojan batteries that are less than a year old to be performing like that. Maybe one battery but not the whole set. What charger are you using and have you verified that the charger is working correctly?
Are you getting the battery age from the date code on the negative terminal of the battery?

BTW, Trojan batteries are warrantied for 18 months.
The cart was ex fleet on a course who decided by all accounts to keep there fleet of carts after the lease was finished 4 years, they changed the batteries on all the carts.Then had another change and decided to enter a new lease with new carts.The dealer has 30 of them to sell.
This is the story the main dealer told me.The batteries are stamped on the terminal K1.
I presume the charger is working but not had it checked.Im waiting on my local Yamaha dealer to come and check the cart over but that wont be till next week.
From online source the warranty with Trojan is not transferable.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:39 AM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Most fleets only lease for 3 years and the batteries are often toast at that point so it's not unusual for your cart to have 1 year old batteries. It is unusual for them to be performing poorly that quickly. It suggests that they were in a state of discharge for a while which does quickly damage them. My club has fleet carts that are just 3 years old now and the batteries are junk. They make it 18 holes but the low battery light is on before 18. Most times around here, fleet carts are sold with new batteries in them.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:01 AM   #15
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Same here. All our courses need new batteries after about three years. I should know, its me that has to change them.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:42 AM   #16
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Most fleets only lease for 3 years and the batteries are often toast at that point so it's not unusual for your cart to have 1 year old batteries. It is unusual for them to be performing poorly that quickly. It suggests that they were in a state of discharge for a while which does quickly damage them. My club has fleet carts that are just 3 years old now and the batteries are junk. They make it 18 holes but the low battery light is on before 18. Most times around here, fleet carts are sold with new batteries in them.
Thats the norm where you live. The heat is rough on them and your season is long. Here on the east side our fleets get 5 years out of a set of Trojans.
I don't know where Mpk200 lives but it doesn't matter. Less than a year on set of Trojans is not normal unless they were abused.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:52 PM   #17
Mpk200
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Thats the norm where you live. The heat is rough on them and your season is long. Here on the east side our fleets get 5 years out of a set of Trojans.
I don't know where Mpk200 lives but it doesn't matter. Less than a year on set of Trojans is not normal unless they were abused.
I live in south Australia.
The cart was purchased from NSW which have had almost 6 months of rain and with courses been closed top,that with lockdown due covid im guessing they could of not been on charge or used for 6 months or so.

Hopefully i can get the rep from yamaha on side who sold the cart to help out with replacement .He did tell me that the benchmark test on there machine showed my cart batteries at 63 min and a discharge on load at 7.68.
Not sure what those figures mean.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:32 PM   #18
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

A discharge cycle needs to last for at least 60 minutes for Yamaha to call it acceptable. Your went 63. Absolutely not impressive for a set of batteries less than a year old. They should’ve easily gone well over 100 minutes. Don’t get too hung up on the time and only use it as a reference. It does not relate to how long your golf car will run over the weekend without charging.

Have you tried contacting Trojan? I have found them to be extremely helpful when I have called them.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:36 PM   #19
Mpk200
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
A discharge cycle needs to last for at least 60 minutes for Yamaha to call it acceptable. Your went 63. Absolutely not impressive for a set of batteries less than a year old. They should’ve easily gone well over 100 minutes. Don’t get too hung up on the time and only use it as a reference. It does not relate to how long your golf car will run over the weekend without charging.

Have you tried contacting Trojan? I have found them to be extremely helpful when I have called them.
Just spoke to the rep and he’s happy to do warranty but needs to know which or how many batteries are bad.He needs a discharge reading for the warranty.We only have to companies who have service techs in this area who can do it but they have weeks of bookings in.
I have someone who may be able to do it but he needs to know AH so he can work out the discharge test can anyone help with the figures he needs.
Thanks
Old 09-14-2022, 05:43 AM   #20
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Awesome. Trojan is a stand up company.
I am assuming that you have the T-875 battery. What version?
The amp-hours are marked on the batteries.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha