lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
jalipit
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger not resetting to start new cycle

2000 DS, 48v, new Trojan pack, and all new electrical - Alltrax 48400, hd solenoid, hd f/r switch, 4Ga cables, and Lester Summit Series on-board charger 27800, wired directly to pack neg. and pack positive. Charger receptacle and OBC completely eliminated.

Cart has been charging as expected the last couple of weeks. New symptom started Friday night when I plugged in to charge. Pack was at about 49.5 but instead of the normal click and the slow yellow blink to indicate normal charging status, the charger clicked and went straight to solid green for "Charging Complete" Basically doesn't initiate a cycle.

I disconnected pack negative for a few minutes, then reconnected. Plugged in to charge and everything worked as expected. Charged to 51.2 by morning. Ran the cart today down to about 49.3 and the same charging complete led was solid green with no indication of charging when I plugged in. Disconnecting and reconnecting pack neg. was again the quick fix. I couldn't find an exact symptom match in a search but anyone have any ideas before I give Lester a call? Or could it not even be a charger issue?

I tried different extension cords and outlets thinking it was an AC thing, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Last time I solicited advice, my problem was user error; kinda hope it's the case again, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jalipit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
jalipit
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charger not resetting to start new cycle

To give a little more detail, the charger arrived to me in the off-board configuration with the Club Car DC plug attached. Bill from Lester instructed me to simply chop off the plug and hard wire the charger cable: Black to pack neg, Red to pack +, and cap the Blue wire. I've been doing a lot of electrical work and testing on the cart so I've been removing the main pack cables frequently so perhaps that is why the charger has been kicking on the charging sequence as expected. It's as if a relay in the charger is not being released when the AC plug is removed. In the beginning, I asked Bill if there was a special internal configuration or algorithm in the charger to determine onboard vs offboard use but he said no.

However, it seems the behavior is more like the charger is waiting for a DC disconnect before starting a new sequence. I left a message with Bill this morning to see if there is more to the onboard vs offboard configuration.

From Lester documentation:

4. OFF-BOARD (SHELF) VERSUS ON-BOARD (BUILT-IN) CHARGERS
4.1 Off-Board Chargers

Off-board chargers are designed to be used in shelf or portable applications. If the AC input plug is connected to AC power, a new charge cycle automatically starts when the DC output is connected to a battery pack of the proper voltage. Disconnecting and reconnecting AC power while the DC output remains connected to a battery pack WILL NOT automatically start a new charge cycle. Disconnecting the DC output from the battery pack IS REQUIRED to automatically start a new charge cycle.

4.2 On-Board Chargers
On-board chargers are designed to be mounted on electric vehicles/equipment. If the DC output is connected to a battery pack of the proper voltage, a charge cycle automatically starts when the AC input plug is connected to AC power (unless a safety period of time has not passed since the successful completion of the previous charge cycle). Disconnecting the DC output from the battery pack is NOT REQUIRED to automatically start a new charge cycle.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The On-board vs Off-board operation is a factory setting.

Unless one of the sponsors knows how to verify which setting You have, You will need to talk to Lester.

You can verify if the charger is set for Off-board by disconnecting one of the charger DC leads and re-connecting to see if it starts a new charge.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
jalipit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post

Unless one of the sponsors knows how to verify which setting You have, You will need to talk to Lester.

You can verify if the charger is set for Off-board by disconnecting one of the charger DC leads and re-connecting to see if it starts a new charge.
Thanks Sergio, you pretty much confirm my suspicion. Yes, a new charge sequence starts after disconnecting/reconnecting one of the DC leads. I'll see what Bill from Lester has to say when he calls back and post the outcome.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
rib33024

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalipit View Post

I disconnected pack negative for a few minutes, then reconnected. Plugged in to charge and everything worked as expected. Charged to 51.2 by morning.

Is this the same thing?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was not 100% clear from that comment if the charger lead was also disconnected from the battery or just the pack negative cable.

If both were disconnected then it would be the same thing.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #7
jalipit
Not Yet Wild

Yes, both disconnected; should've clarified in the OP but it was late.
Anyway, I guess worst case scenario, I could run the charger negative lead to a NC momentary button switch which connects to pack negative. Then hit the button before charging to reset the charger for a new sequence. Just have to remember to hit the button.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Another option is to use a 120vac relay coil and run the charger DC output through the NO relay contacts.
http://www.newark.com/schneider-elct...30a/dp/32C2652
Hopefully Lester has a simpler solution.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #9
jalipit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Another option is to use a 120vac relay coil and run the charger DC output through the NO relay contacts.
http://www.newark.com/schneider-elct...30a/dp/32C2652
Hopefully Lester has a simpler solution.
That's a good idea. Haven't heard from Lester, phone or email, yet.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
jalipit
Not Yet Wild

Sergio, I went ahead and ordered that relay. I have a hunch on what I need to do, however, would you terribly mind mapping out what connections I need to make to which terminals?

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car