lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Lifted '93 36V keeps melting v-glides

This is a 1993 36V Resistor control Club Car DS with a 6" lift kit and 22" tires. Came in with bad batteries (and cheap ones at that--not even deep cycle) and melted cables, a melted solenoid, melted motor stud and a severely baked v-glide.

Replaced motor, v-glide assembly, used 4-gauge cables, Trojan Black batteries, a heavy duty solenoid, and the motor we used is a performance (torque for lifted cars) series motor to compensate for the lift kit.

It came back a week later with the full-speed (fourth speed that bypasses resistors when at WOT) contact melted and the contact arm laying loose. the contacts for the other speeds were fine, and it went from 1st to 3rd speed no issue. Assumed it was going uphill for a long time causing the v-glide to heat excessively. But we tested the batteries and cables, and replaced the motor again to be sure. Another V-glide assembly as well.

On test drive, it went a mile and a half, then I started smelling melting plastic and soon after the 4th speed died and all I had were 1st through 3rd.

There's no sign of a 'beefier' v-glide assembly in any parts book we have. Not Red Hawk, Club car, or Nivel/Mad Jax. The V-glide is obviously a weak link with this being lifted and taking the entire load. None of the cables seem to be getting hot or warm but that fourth speed is melting easily. The resistors are taking the load off the other three I'm guessing. At this point I might have to rig another solenoid and micro-switch to make 4th speed essentially bypass the v-glide completely. It's not low voltage or bad wiring and this is a dead simple system. Is it possible the '93 resistor cars are not intended to be lifted?
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Lifted '93 36V keeps melting v-glides

There should be 5 "speeds" (cables) not counting the first wire. The last one bypasses the resistor group entirely. Sounds like you are missing a cable.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:38 PM   #3
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

You need a solid state conversion for safety especially if there are any hills or off road riding that cart is doing. A vglide bypass like you are talking would be better than nothing but that cart is definitely not supposed to run big tires and an upgraded motor. I will almost guarantee it’s pulling over double the amps that system is built for.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

The stock motor with this lift kit was even worse. You could walk faster uphill and the half speed reverse wouldn't even back the car up a hill at all.

The upgraded motor has more torque but the v-glide is melting at the last speed. It's really 4. You hear solenoid click at first, slowest speed, 2nd a bit faster, third more speed, and 4th is an even bigger difference in speed. If it were the 5 resistor type you'd hear 4 clicks in all.

With the stock motor it went ~ 12 mph on flat ground but only 3-4 MPH uphill struggling. With upgraded motor it now goes ~16-17 MPH on flat ground and 8 MPH uphill at least until the v-glide baked itself again.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

“Even worse” just sounds like it was slower but the torque motor is pulling way more amps making it even worse on the vglide. Need to rip out the resistors and install a controller.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:02 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
The stock motor with this lift kit was even worse. You could walk faster uphill and the half speed reverse wouldn't even back the car up a hill at all.

The upgraded motor has more torque but the v-glide is melting at the last speed. It's really 4. You hear solenoid click at first, slowest speed, 2nd a bit faster, third more speed, and 4th is an even bigger difference in speed. If it were the 5 resistor type you'd hear 4 clicks in all.

With the stock motor it went ~ 12 mph on flat ground but only 3-4 MPH uphill struggling. With upgraded motor it now goes ~16-17 MPH on flat ground and 8 MPH uphill at least until the v-glide baked itself again.
I did not say 5 resistors or solenoids. I said cables.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
“Even worse” just sounds like it was slower but the torque motor is pulling way more amps making it even worse on the vglide. Need to rip out the resistors and install a controller.
I'd rather rip out the lift kit. I hate solid state cars. Especially RXVs. Nothing but headache inducing. Resistor cars are simple and with customers being cheaper lately you can't tell someone who hacked an RXV harness to attempt a radio install the price without inducing a coronary.

As Scotty on Star Trek once said: "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain"
Old 05-28-2020, 10:22 PM   #8
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree they are super simple and there is something to be said about that. I think with upgraded motor your still gonna have issues with melting stuff as it will have more of an effect on amp draw than the larger tires.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Very common issue with the V-glide. You can't pass enough current over the contacts to feed an upgraded motor. Either upgrade it to a solid state controller, or go back to a stock motor, and stock tires.

And if they decide to go to solid state, make it 48v as well. 48v does more work using less current. Fewer amps to get more speed and more torque.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

that setup has been known to "weld" in place and take you for a ride....don't let any kids on it...
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car