lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo Model 830 3-wheel cart- new to me and too slow...

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the pictures.

We have one of those death traps at work. It will haul two fat guys across the flat concrete at roughly 8-10 mph. At night, you can see the halo of blue sparks coming from the motor underneath. I swear it's only a matter of time before we burn down the entire airport.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #12
7fa
Not Yet Wild

No blue sparks yet, but I'm trying!!! I'd love to see 10mph out of this thing with just me on it.

To upgrade to 36v... I only have room for 4 batteries. Would it be best to go with three high quality 12v deep cycle batteries, or is it possible to run 2-12v deep cycles with 2 of my existing 6v batteries so I have more overall AH capacity?
7fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
crash test dummy

check solenoids first if they are 24v then it would not work
i would test each one to ensure they are all working
repair coil then see what your speed is
again you can't mix batteries
3 x 12v batteries might work if solenoids are 36v
Old 07-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #14
7fa
Not Yet Wild

Looks like the solenoids are marked 24v on the end, so buying 7 new 36v solenoids and batteries starts to look like a major investment on what started out as a cheap cart...

So I don't keep tying everyone up with rookie questions, is there any type of simplified explanation of how the system is supposed to work? I have the wiring diagram, but I honestly don't understand how it's designed to work (where should I see voltage during testing, what do the 4 different connections on the motor do, etc).

Is there some type of basic explanation out on the web that explains how it works and basic troubleshooting?

Thanks again for your patience!
Old 07-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #15
crash test dummy

basically its key supply's power to go pedal ... pedal activates the solenoids one at a time they run power through the coils which burn off power to make speed slower when pedal is full no coils are used and you are at max speed

the key switches forward and reverse

the micro switches in the pedal box tell solenoids to close allowing current to flow to motor

the 4 post on motor make it go forward and reverse

first fix your coil

solenoid test
Quote:
Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. remove all wires, from solenoid
test 1
Connect an volt meter, set on continuity, place on the two large terminal studs. The meter should indicate no continuity, Replace the solenoid if continuity is present.
test 2
Using jumper wires attach from main positive and main negative of battery pack to the two small solenoid studs, polarity is not important. You should hear a click as the solenoid engages, and the meter should indicate continuity on the two large terminals. Replace the solenoid if continuity is not present.
if solenoid clicks rapidly solenoid is bad
Old 07-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #16
7fa
Not Yet Wild

resistor coil is fixed... Was able to slot the remaining connector piece and reattach. See pics. Seems to drive the same as before, but now its now bouncing around loose...

Before...

After
Old 07-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #17
crash test dummy

good job
Old 07-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Any chance it could be converted to a conventional resistor cart with a more robust wiper board and a single solenoid? It would allow 36 volt operation, which "should" result in a 3/2 increase in speed.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #19
7fa
Not Yet Wild

I'm all ears on potential options to upgrade. I'd really like to figure out how to get it to 36v without breaking the bank...
Old 07-29-2015, 06:07 AM   #20
7fa
Not Yet Wild

OK. Quick update... Removed all the wiring and tested each solenoid. They all worked fine and had good resistance readings across the main contacts when closed. Main Resistor bank is also fixed. During the solenoid testing, I managed to damage one of the small resistors that is connected between the control posts on the solenoids. What are these resistors for??

After putting it all back together it runs about the same. No faster... The 1st solenoid engagement is fine (fwd or reverse??) but the 2nd click causes the car to "jump" into motion. Is this because of the resistor?

Also, still seems like the "3rd speed" solenoid has no effect on speed, and it also does not engage unless I hold the pedal down hard to the floor and it will click on and off if I move at all. Is there an adjustment for the pedal when the solenoids engage?

Appreciate any suggestions... Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO