lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Klunky Chris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default How does regen braking work?

Learning a great deal on this forum! Thanks! I'm hoping someone can clear up a question for me. My 2000 TXT PDS cart has the red freedom plug in the controller. Therefore it had no regenerative braking.

How does regenerative braking work? Is it actually recharging the batteries? Or does it just use battery power to brake (kind of feed the motor backwards power)

I'm trying to decide if regenerative braking 'extends' your range because it's recovering some energy and charging the batteries with it, or is it just a fancy term for a battery powered brake.

Also, my 92 marathon appears to have 'plug' braking (or is at least capable of it)
Similarly, how the heck does THAT work? I've never driven it (bad motor) so I have no clue.

Really enjoying the battery powered cart! I've got 17 acres to toll around in and making NO noise makes seeing the wildlife much easier! Also makes buzzing around the property doing work more fun convenient! I've got the bug bad now!
Klunky Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How does regen braking work?

This young man explains it well. I am enjoying watching my battery pack voltage raise when I let off the gas. So yeah, it can increase your range a little.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
Klunky Chris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, so the term is used correctly for our PDS golf carts. Now the difference between our carts & his video is his diagram is using a permanent magnet system. Our carts do not.
So, I assume the controller turns the cart in to an "alternator" by feeding a small current/voltage to produce a larger current/voltage. This isn't to hard for me to grasp since I've worked on some bigger (60kw) generators and see a similarly w/ the rotor & stator on them (as opposed to magnets)

Sorry if this is already obvious to everyone else. I'm just trying to make sure that regen braking actually charges the battery pack instead of using battery pack power (in which case the drum brakes would give you more range)

Now, can you explain 'plug' braking to me?

Thanks a lot!
(& Scotty, you don't carry motor brushes do you? :-)
Klunky Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your google must be broken
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO