lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
SHAWN DAVIS
Gone Wild

Default Series cart, 48volt, 7126 AMD motor?

Just pulled the trigger on a AMD 7126, going in my 48 volt converted TXT, anyone got some recorded speeds on 48?
Has the stock 12.44 ratio and 23" tires, 700 amp controller, big cables, hd switch etc from Scotty
SHAWN DAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Series cart, 48volt, 7126 AMD motor?

Sir Nuke runs that motor at 36V through a SPM500 controller, 2Ga cables and Super-Duty solenoid, etc. and gets 27 MPH on 23" tires.

That means his motor is spinning about 4900RPM at 36V, so upping the voltage to 48V in a similar cart ought to increase the max motor RPM by about 33.3%, and that kicks it up to about 6500, which is upwards of 36 MPH.

Of course there are a lot of variables that are unknown and cannot be taken into account, but if your tire type isn't holding you back, it'll probably be in the low to mid 30's.

What is you existing motor and what speed do you get with it?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
SHAWN DAVIS
Gone Wild

Stock 36v motor, unsure the speeds though, guess low 20's???
If it hits 30 I would be happy
Old 11-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You might not be reaching the theoretical cart speed for a stock series motor with a 48V battery pack turning 23" tires, but you're getting close, so 30 is a reasonable expectation.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
SHAWN DAVIS
Gone Wild

That should work, found a motor in stock too was a help
Tried call the two popular motor places, thought that would be the way to go. not much luck at all
never answer a phone, poor e mail response too
Old 11-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Shawn, I'll be very interested how your cart runs after you get the new motor in.....as johnnie mentioned my set up is close to yours......and plan to go to 48v when I get my next Pack......
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I dont have much experience with the AMD version of that motor, But the GE version will get you to low-mid 30s on 48v.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #8
gunnardog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I converted my TXT to 48 V exactly one year ago. Here are the specs on my cart:

21" All Terrain Tires
6" Lift
400 Amp Controller
HD Solenoid
New Trojan 8 V batteries
Back seat kit, Standard top, Full Front Windshield

A 400 amp vs 700 amp controller shouldn't change top speed (Not sure on this). It would definitely affect acceleration and torque. Until this week my cart had the stock PDS motor in it.

I recorded speeds carefully using GPS immediately after installing my new batteries and then 6 months later after break in. New battery top speed was 33 mph, after break it increased to 35 mph. I did install new brakes so there may have been some loosening up there also. I didn't notice much difference in the hill climbing or acceleration during those periods, that is hard to measure without high tech equipment. It was an awesome conversion, I have loved it.

With 23" tires that thing is going to be fast. That much torque on those big rollers might be hard on those axles so be careful.

I forgot to add: The reason I am snooping around is trying to decide what to do about my motor. It isn't completely dead but it's dying a quick death and I will be very interested to hear your experience with the new high-po motor. I need to decide what I do next....

Last edited by gunnardog; 11-07-2015 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Add additional info
gunnardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That motor is not gonna be a good choice for 23" tires. Its a speed motor, not a torque motor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnardog View Post
I converted my TXT to 48 V exactly one year ago. Here are the specs on my cart:

21" All Terrain Tires
6" Lift
400 Amp Controller
HD Solenoid
New Trojan 8 V batteries
Back seat kit, Standard top, Full Front Windshield

A 400 amp vs 700 amp controller shouldn't change top speed (Not sure on this). It would definitely affect acceleration and torque. Until this week my cart had the stock PDS motor in it.

I recorded speeds carefully using GPS immediately after installing my new batteries and then 6 months later after break in. New battery top speed was 33 mph, after break it increased to 35 mph. I did install new brakes so there may have been some loosening up there also. I didn't notice much difference in the hill climbing or acceleration during those periods, that is hard to measure without high tech equipment. It was an awesome conversion, I have loved it.

With 23" tires that thing is going to be fast. That much torque on those big rollers might be hard on those axles so be careful.

I forgot to add: The reason I am snooping around is trying to decide what to do about my motor. It isn't completely dead but it's dying a quick death and I will be very interested to hear your experience with the new high-po motor. I need to decide what I do next....
It probably would be better to start a new thread for your questions since they are about a SepEx drive system and Shawn has a Series drive system.

The casual reader may get confused trying to switch back and forth between the two.

At 35 MPH on 21" tires with 12.44:1 gears, your motor is spinning at nearly 7,000 RPM and the max recommended RPM for most cart motors is in the 6,000 to 6,500 RPM range.

I see you list the tire size as 22" in your signature block, if so, at 35 MPH the the motor is still spinning at about 6,650 RPM, so you are pushing the motor's RPM envelope in either case.

What are you looking for in a new motor?
More Speed.
More Torque.
Not slowing down as much going uphill.
---------------

BTW: You list a DCS400PDS controller on your signature block, I'm pretty sure you mean DCX400PDS,
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO