lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default LED lights fried?

I am working on a 48v TXT that has had an entire LED light kit installed.

There is no voltage reducer, the lights are running off of two 8v batteries so their getting 17 volts. The rear tail lights are working fine, but about a week ago both headlights went dim and now no longer produce any usable light, they are on but extremely dim and not usable.

I am not seeing anything wrong here on my quick first look, both lights are getting 17 volts.

Anyone see this before? The only thing I can come up with is that maybe the headlight LED circuits have been damaged by the 17volts. Thoughts?

Thanks,Troy
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: LED lights fried?

I do run my halogen head light on 2x8volt battery and i have no problem,, but few people told me that led are more voltage sensitive.....
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

yea, just not sure about this kit, I am not sure if it is a Red Hawk kit or a cheap knock off. but it doesn't make sense that they both just went dim. I can't find a short or anything.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
crash test dummy

just a thought ... ground wire ?
my jeep did same when i had a ground problem
Old 12-14-2015, 06:22 AM   #5
Dsouthw524
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The lights are usually rated for 12 Volt. They will take a slight voltage above that. I know that you can either use a voltage reucer or you can install a resister in the positive lead to reduce the input voltage. I have done this for some instalations with great success. The value needed is able to be determined by using a volt meter and resister to get the voltage down to around the 12 volt range (12-13V).

Hope this helps!
Dsouthw524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsouthw524 View Post
The lights are usually rated for 12 Volt. They will take a slight voltage above that. I know that you can either use a voltage reucer or you can install a resister in the positive lead to reduce the input voltage. I have done this for some instalations with great success. The value needed is able to be determined by using a volt meter and resister to get the voltage down to around the 12 volt range (12-13V).

Hope this helps!
Don't you have problems with the resistor getting hot?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

A properly sized resistor for the job wont get that hot. A 1/4 watt resistor (likely the kind you have lying around) will fry in seconds. Or they sell these things that are specifically designed for powering 12v lights/accessories from higher voltages, i think they are called dc/dc convertors..... I think your LEDs are already gone...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Everything I read says 17v will reduce life span of 12v lighting. You do the resistor thing but some playing around is necessary to find the correct value needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

yep, I have seen many people run their halogens at the 18 volts... Not me, all my stuff runs off of 25 amp converters full 48v to 12v. If I build and sell a cart it will have a converter. As soon as I saw this, I immediately assumed the boards were damaged, kinda strange though how the LED tail lights are working just fine - for now.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

YEs, they will work but the over-voltage shortens their life. On the up side, I bet they are nice and BRIGHT
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO