lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Longest Extension Cord For Charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by konakid View Post
So, is there a distance that would become dangerous or hurt the cart or charger? For example, could I use the 100 ft 10 GA cord and then put a 25 ft HD extension onto that?

I have a storage building where I would like to store and charge two carts - but it is 125 ft. away from my nearest plug. And running dedicated service would be a problem - a wire would have to run through very rocky, very heavy forest. A trench or overhead wire would be problematic (expensive).

But I could just lay an extension cord on the ground - as it would run in a virtually inaccessible area.
It rains a lot in Hawaii, so the in-line connection where the two extension cord are joined is going to be exposed to the weather. However, you could avoid that issue by laying a continuous length of outdoor/underground rated cable on the ground, the same way as you planned to do with the extension cords.

Since you mentioned you'll be charging two carts at the remote location, you'll need two 15A services. (Run a 240 service and run a 120V outlet from each phase at the remote location)

Personally, I'd run UBF 10/3 W/Gnd. (Four wires total, 3 insulated & 1 non-insulated)
http://www.wesbellwireandcable.com/Romex/UFB10-3.html

10Ga will have a bit over 3% voltage drop at 125' with a 15A current draw.
Here is an online calculator in case 15A isn't correct.
http://www.southwire.com/support/vol...calculator.htm
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Thanks guys for all the useful info.

My setup is such that I have installed this 15 amp outlet on a dedicated circuit right at my main service box on the pole, where service first enters my property. Then there is a long run from there to the house where the house breakers are. So, power to this outlet is sound, and my voltage is usually a little over 120v.

I guess my biggest concern is - can I ruin my charger and/or batteries or cart electronics if I push things too far??? Or is the only concern overheating and/or fire. If everything is set up properly with my 15 amp circuit - wouldn't he only thing that could go wrong be tripping the beaker all the time?
konakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #13
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
It rains a lot in Hawaii, so the in-line connection where the two extension cord are joined is going to be exposed to the weather. However, you could avoid that issue by laying a continuous length of outdoor/underground rated cable on the ground, the same way as you planned to do with the extension cords.

Since you mentioned you'll be charging two carts at the remote location, you'll need two 15A services. (Run a 240 service and run a 120V outlet from each phase at the remote location)

Personally, I'd run UBF 10/3 W/Gnd. (Four wires total, 3 insulated & 1 non-insulated)
http://www.wesbellwireandcable.com/Romex/UFB10-3.html

10Ga will have a bit over 3% voltage drop at 125' with a 15A current draw.
Here is an online calculator in case 15A isn't correct.
http://www.southwire.com/support/vol...calculator.htm
Thanks Johnnie - you're always a big help.

I only planned on charging one cart at a time - since I thought I was already pushing things. I did think of making and installing my own wire (as you suggested) - but wanted to feel you guys out and see if a pre-made cord would work - at least until I could maybe upgrade things more permanently later.

I'm putting a lot of money in this "car port" project, and it would be nice if I could just "plug and go" with the electric part of things until later. And there is a possibility that 100 ft might just be enough.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Make sure you use a GFI outlet if you are doing this outdoors! Safety first!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #15
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'd buy a generator. Sure, you'll lay out four bills for one big enough to run a cart charger, but laying an extension cord out in the open and leaving it there to the mercy of the elements and critters? No way. Plus, you'll have a portable generator to use anywhere else you need it.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #16
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I thought about a generator but to me that's just stupid.

If his outlet is at the pole outside already then the risk of fire is small and limited to the power pole well and the cart shed. Hopefully not where people are sleeping.

I had thought about what johnny b said with the outdoor Rome but thought you didn't want to do that as it would look ghetto. Extention cords lay on the ground more neatly and are not all kinked up and loopy like the Romex will be as it WILL NOT lay flat.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #17
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
I thought about a generator but to me that's just stupid.

If his outlet is at the pole outside already then the risk of fire is small and limited to the power pole well and the cart shed. Hopefully not where people are sleeping.

I had thought about what johnny b said with the outdoor Rome but thought you didn't want to do that as it would look ghetto. Extention cords lay on the ground more neatly and are not all kinked up and loopy like the Romex will be as it WILL NOT lay flat.
Yes "Clemson" those are pretty much my thoughts. The utility pole is metal, the carport will be steel - so no fire chances there. And the cord will be lying on impassable thick forest floor where no one will ever be walking, digging, etc. The forest is always too moist to burn. And critters that could bother the cord are really not an issue.

So - back to two last questions please.
1) Would/could an inadequate cord set-up damage cart electronics, batteries, and or charger?
2) And shouldn't the breaker trip before any fire situation might develop anyway?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #18
coosa
Gone Wild

My shed where I keep my cart is about 100' from my house. When I built my house, I ran a size 10 underground cable to the shed and buried it about 2' deep. I've never even thought to check the voltage in the shed. Whatever it is, it's worked just fine for 22 years. Is there some code that would keep you from just burying the cable?

Edit - sorry, I didn't read close enough and didn't grasp that your ground is probably solid rock. Why not put the cable inside conduit or even PVC pipe? Maybe you could do that and haul in some dirt or gravel to at least partially cover it? I'd sure run a cable instead of using extension cords. And the breaker should trip if you ever have a short or it overheats.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #19
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
My shed where I keep my cart is about 100' from my house. When I built my house, I ran a size 10 underground cable to the shed and buried it about 2' deep. I've never even thought to check the voltage in the shed. Whatever it is, it's worked just fine for 22 years. Is there some code that would keep you from just burying the cable?
Thanks for the info. This is a volcanic island. Trenching requires very heavy equipment - another way of saying big money - and clearing the forest along any trench line for access - more money - and killing/cutting some centuries old trees.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:42 PM   #20
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by konakid View Post
So - back to two last questions please.
1) Would/could an inadequate cord set-up damage cart electronics, batteries, and or charger?
2) And shouldn't the breaker trip before any fire situation might develop anyway?
1, Depends on the chargers, most modern electronic chargers have enough safeties in them that it would not be likely to damage the cart electronics or the batteries, the charger itself is a coint toss.

2, Not always, the breaker is sized to protect the wire from complete meltdown in case it shorts out, it does not protect from a portion of that wire from getting hot enough to start a fire. The most likely point for this to occur is at the cord/outlet connectors.

If I were to do this with extension cord I would likely use the above mentioned house brand cords from Lowe's assuming you have one on your island, connect a 25 or 50 ft one with a 100 ft cord to get the distance, wrap the connection between the 2 cords with electrical tape then paint over with liquid electrical tape. (liquid electrical tape comes in a small can and brushes on, it is also sold in a spray can, but I have never used that type) This should result in a fairly good water resistant connection.

You should be able to get away with the cheaper 12 GA cord, but I would probably go ahead and use the 10 GA as you never know you may want power for other things in your shed in the future. I would also use a modern high frequency charger for this, not an old style fero-resonant design as they refererence incoming voltage for output voltage level.
Alternatively I would do it half way right and run it in conduit
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO