lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Chwstone
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart suddenly does absolutely nothing.

I just got my cart back from the shop last week. The controller was bad so I had it rebuilt. The guys at the shop were very difficult and expensive and id rather not take it back if I don't have to. The cart worked great for about a week but suddenly, it will not respond at all. I read a lot of posts and thought it could be the charger disable from the charger port not functioning but it seems to be doing its job. I have no reverse alarm and no movement whatsoever. I'm really hoping its not the controller again but I don't know how to test it. It's a 48 volt txt. I'm fairly certain it's a 2012 PDS. Curtis controller 1206HB5201
Chwstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart suddenly does absolutely nothing.

I got good news and bad news.
"Rebuilt" controllers do not enjoy a good reputation. They fail often, sometimes right away sometimes a month past the warranty. What ever your trouble is - it may well be the control or something related to the install so you probably ought to take it back and use the warranty.

It's all unfortunate because I'm almost certain you could have a new DIY 400 amp Alltrax controller and HD solenoid in it for the money you have spent on a patched up stock unit installed
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Attached is the TXT48 wire diagram
The (+) power for controller and soleenoid activation begins on the left side where it says 'solenoid B+' and goes through the run/tow switch (on the controller cover, to pin #9. Solenoid B+ is the terminal where the main battery (+) cable connects in the front of the cart behind the passenger seat. originally it's under a plastic cover.
If you can verify you have power on this path from solenoid B+ to pin9 and no movement then take it to the shop that just fixed it.

Let me know if I can help I have this cart in my barn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TXT 48V diagram 2.jpg (161.0 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
Chwstone
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I'll verify that power path and go from there.
Chwstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:34 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I agree with Scotty here. I work with controllers all the time, and I will not repair them or send them out to be rebuilt (repaired). If it's a hardware issue, then replacement with new is really the only option. The problem with repairs is, they will only replace failed component(s) and other components are likely to fail. It is typically cost prohibitive to remove all components and replace with new during a repair, so it is not done. The only time I will fix a used controller is if there is corruption to the Operating System, VCL, or operating parameters. So if the issue is related to software and not hardware, then it is usually safe to clone that controller back to stock. But even then, you're dealing with used hardware, and that can still fail at any time. By the time you figure in the cost of repair and the risk factor for another failure, it just does not make much financial sense to decide to have a controller repaired.

The 1206HB is a decent controller, but aftermarket controllers such as an Alltrax might be a better choice. Open source programming capabilities exist as well, so you can tune it to how you want it. Curtis and OEMs that use Curtis controllers are alienating the EV market they serve by being so darned proprietary with everything. If you can't get warranty satisfaction, then talk to Scotty about a controller upgrade.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Going to the RIGHT controller rebuilder and you wont have an issue. Ive had 100's rebuilt, and have never, never had one fail. When I hear about a rebuilt controller failing, its because the servicing body failed to find the reason, the controller failed.
A rebuilt Curtis controller will out last a new Altrax controller, which when it fails, and flames shoot out the back, you pitch it in the trash can and then put a Curtis back in it.
I will sell someone a Altrax if that is what they want, but I have had much better success with Curtis products. I find most re-fails, or a cart that becomes a problem child due to "mechanic induced failure".
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO