lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Joelwdryden
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo txt brakes

My brakes seem to require an awful lot of pedal, and are inefficient stopping. Are these brakes auto adjusting. I've heard just mash the pedal and they snug? Do i need to manually adjust, are they just dirty, or likely new pads. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joelwdryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Ezgo txt brakes

hello,

Well, the best thing to do since you have so many concerns is to check everything. There is an adjustment under the cart to adjust cable tightness but you should not have to touch that if the brakes are proper. Make sure the cables react as they should, and are not stretched out (they do that after a while). Have someone push the brake for you while you look under to make sure you see the cables pulling behind each tire. If not then one or both cables are rusted out or stretched. pull the wheels off and check that the shoes are ok and not chipped up. use some sand paper on the shoes and the hub drum to provide a rough surface to grip.be sure to spray brake cleaner sufficiently afterwards. I don't believe they are auto adjusting but they might be. lol, you can mash the brake to set them so to speak, but it won't really fix a brake issue.

steve
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
Joelwdryden
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok i hadn't really thought about checking cables, that's a good idea, as maybe I've only got one side braking or something. With rear only brakes I'm not sure if I'd feel that pulling or now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelwdryden View Post
Ok i hadn't really thought about checking cables, that's a good idea, as maybe I've only got one side braking or something. With rear only brakes I'm not sure if I'd feel that pulling or now. Thanks for the suggestion!

no problem, yeah sometimes if only one side is braking it can be good enough to fool someone that they are both working, but its rare especially when you work with carts every day like I do
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The brakes on the carts are much like 60's era car drums. They are auto adjust, if they were properly set to start with. But, they do not adjust but just mashing. First, you should be going in reverse. Speed isn't necessary. Back up a few feet and sharply stomp on the pedal. Try that a few times. If it doesn't help, you probably have other issues. If it helps, only to disappear again, the brakes are not properly adjusted to start.
Checking your cables is a good idea. The cable should be snug, but not tight.
You don't mention the kind, model or year of your cart so I have assumed the average TXT with stock brakes. It helps to put your cart in your signature so people can see what you are talking about.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #6
Joelwdryden
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok thanks for your help on both accounts!. Great advice! It's a txt pds, yes, stock brakes.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Another alternative for better brakes > http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ll-thread.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

The stock brake are good for the majority of the applications that people use their golf car for. The problem is 95% don't adjust the brakes properly. The cable is not how you adjust brakes and usually once set doesn't need to be touched. EZGOs throw most through a loop because of the helper spring. A 5 year old should be able to stop that car, if you have to do a leg press to lock the brake, they are not properly adjusted.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
The stock brake are good for the majority of the applications that people use their golf car for. The problem is 95% don't adjust the brakes properly. The cable is not how you adjust brakes and usually once set doesn't need to be touched. EZGOs throw most through a loop because of the helper spring. A 5 year old should be able to stop that car, if you have to do a leg press to lock the brake, they are not properly adjusted.
Please enlighten us.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:54 AM   #10
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

you should have a hole near the outside of the brake drum mounting surface-you will need to remove the rims....

at the bottom of the brake assembly,inside the drum,there is a star shaped adjuster toward the front side of that assembly,it is at the bottom of the brake shoes-holding the shoes apart....

turn that star adjuster,near the front brake shoe(while moving the drum)till the drum starts to drag-then do the other side to match....

stomp the brake pedal a few times to seat the shoes,then recheck the adjusters.....

this should get your pedal back-if not-remove the drums and inspect,be sure to tighten the axle nut when reinstalling the drums,good luck!
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO