lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV Motor Brake Question

Greetings all. It appears as though my newest cart has a failed motor brake. It's a 2012 RXV. I tried to move it yesterday and it shuttered then stopped. I can hear it going through all the checks, but the brake is not releasing. I tried the tow switch while in neutral and hear a light click but still stuck. I ordered a new one and decided to pull this one off a little while ago. Curiosity got the better of me and I opened it up. I heard a little pop when I did, sort of like it broke loose. It appears to have quite a bit of rust and corrosion inside. Does anyone know if a thorough cleaning and perhaps a light bead blast or soda blast might get this one working again?
I didn't smell the nice burnt smell my last cart had, nor did lots of little pieces fall out of this one. Here are some pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9766.JPG (954.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9767.JPG (813.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9768.JPG (825.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9769.JPG (736.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9770.JPG (909.4 KB, 0 views)
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Motor Brake Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneubig View Post
Greetings all. It appears as though my newest cart has a failed motor brake. It's a 2012 RXV. I tried to move it yesterday and it shuttered then stopped. I can hear it going through all the checks, but the brake is not releasing. I tried the tow switch while in neutral and hear a light click but still stuck. I ordered a new one and decided to pull this one off a little while ago. Curiosity got the better of me and I opened it up. I heard a little pop when I did, sort of like it broke loose. It appears to have quite a bit of rust and corrosion inside. Does anyone know if a thorough cleaning and perhaps a light bead blast or soda blast might get this one working again?
I didn't smell the nice burnt smell my last cart had, nor did lots of little pieces fall out of this one. Here are some pictures:
It looks like it just rusted together, should be repairable.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Bob. I'll take it to the shop tomorrow and see what I can do to clean it up.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks Bob. I'll take it to the shop tomorrow and see what I can do to clean it up.
Yea the motor brakes are not weatherproof or waterproof. The semimetallic clutch-like disc can rust to the metal surfaces. Don't let it sit too long between runs to keep it from rusting up again.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:04 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The newer style HD motor brake does have a O-ring on the back to help seal it up, but I have seen some problems with it on Danaher cars. So I can only suggest it on Curtis cars.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #6
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I gave it a good cleaning and I'm back in business. Working great now. Thanks for input.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I gave it a good cleaning and I'm back in business. Working great now. Thanks for input.

Remember, in your humid environment, this is always a risk for brakes or clutches that are made of semi-metallic material to rust. Semi-metallic means that they are comprised of a composite that contains iron and other metals.

The brake calipers in my car rust to the rotors when I leave it parked for a week or more. You just need to be sure to move it once in a while to keep it freed up. You can't really spray it with a protectant without affecting operation.

Bob
Old 01-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #8
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Would a light sanding with a fine grit sandpaper work?

I have a brake that looks like this also, except it was not completely locked up, just heavy resistance disengaged.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #9
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Also--- clean motor lug on output shaft ......
Rust on lug will cause brake to stick and not release properly.....
get at it with wire brush
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Cleaned it up and all seems good. There was a good amount of rust in there.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO