lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
Steve390Gold
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Curious RXV problem

I apologize about the length, but the more information the better in my book!

Ok some background: I bought a cannibalized 2012 RXV (no controller, no brake, destroyed steering rack, shot bushings, fubar'ed wiring, destroyed charging port), brought it back (and the batteries surprisingly) from the bone yard and put a Navitas controller in it. Runs like a beast. This weekend I decided to see how long the cart would last with these current batteries. On Friday night I charged them overnight. On Saturday we shot a full round of sporting clays without issue. Then today shot another full round at a different local without incident and then I accidentally left the cart in "F" for a good 15 minuntes whilst moving gear from the cart to the car to go home. When I went to load the cart on the trailer, hitting the gas did nothing and I got 3 quick tones followed by a single, separate tone.

Connected the phone via blue tooth to the Navitas controller and had a "low bus voltage" alarm? (IIRC that was the verbage) A quick peek over on the diagnostics screen showed that the pack voltage was 49.3v.

I turned off the cart, relaxed for about 5 minutes, then repowered the cart up, and had zero issues, loaded the cart up, and home we went. Got home about 2 hours later and the pack voltage is back up to 50.2 or so.

Was this caused by the controller thinking that the battery pack was depleted? What do the stock Curtis 235 and 350 amp controllers turn off at?

(Also for anyone else searching about Navitas, their controllers are great BUT you cant adjust anything from the application on your phone, only monitor what is going on. That was a huge let down. The only adjustment you have are the three knobs of acceleration, regeneration, and top speed.)
Steve390Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Default Re: Curious RXV problem

My RXV with a Curtis controller will go into a standby mode after about thirty minuets. Pumping the accelerator once will power it back up. Occasionally I have to turn the switch off and back on to get it going. Maybe the Navitas has similar program.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Steve390Gold
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngilliland View Post
My RXV with a Curtis controller will go into a standby mode after about thirty minuets. Pumping the accelerator once will power it back up. Occasionally I have to turn the switch off and back on to get it going. Maybe the Navitas has similar program.
I Tried that, still beeped at me and remained inop. Turned off key, made sure both brake and gas were full up and switched back on. Still no change. I assumed if i left the cart off and alone for a few min the batteries would come up a few tenths that would allow it to drive which seemed to work, but I was wondering if others have had this issue.

Either way good info for potential Navitas users to have...
Old 06-04-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve390Gold View Post
I Tried that, still beeped at me and remained inop. Turned off key, made sure both brake and gas were full up and switched back on. Still no change. I assumed if i left the cart off and alone for a few min the batteries would come up a few tenths that would allow it to drive which seemed to work, but I was wondering if others have had this issue.

Either way good info for potential Navitas users to have...
Stock low voltage cutoff on the Curtis controllers is 40V. I tend to set them down to 36V or less when we set a cart for harder accell.

At least with the Curtis controllers, we can go in with a programming station and set the nominal operating voltage up or down to work with custom voltage packs (like 72V) and set our overvolt/undervolt cutoff setpoints and undervolt/overvolt error setpoints, which are seperate from the cutoff setpoints. Error setpoints are just logged but do not shut you down, while cutoff setpoints do. I've seen voltage sags under heavy accell with the stock 6 guage wires that would trip a shutdown, that would not happen with 2 guage wires. I decided to go with 2 guage wires after pulling a wheelie with 4 guage wires resulted in a shutdown mid-wheelie. Talk about a hard landing with the front end! LOL
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
Steve390Gold
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Stock low voltage cutoff on the Curtis controllers is 40V. I tend to set them down to 36V or less when we set a cart for harder accell.

At least with the Curtis controllers, we can go in with a programming station and set the nominal operating voltage up or down to work with custom voltage packs (like 72V) and set our overvolt/undervolt cutoff setpoints and undervolt/overvolt error setpoints, which are seperate from the cutoff setpoints. Error setpoints are just logged but do not shut you down, while cutoff setpoints do. I've seen voltage sags under heavy accell with the stock 6 guage wires that would trip a shutdown, that would not happen with 2 guage wires. I decided to go with 2 guage wires after pulling a wheelie with 4 guage wires resulted in a shutdown mid-wheelie. Talk about a hard landing with the front end! LOL
A wheelie?! Wow!!!

Well I decided to see if i could replicate the issue with zero success, short of just leaving cart with key in "F" position for 20 minutes...lol. Got the pack down to 48.1 and zero issues. Upon reading the instruction manual 3-1 is a low battery voltage issue, but I couldnt replicate the issue.

I also discovered that there is a developers Navitas App that you get access to after registering the controller. Apparently this app lets you manipulate setting and such!! Hopefully it will show the over/under volt settings and such. Even if i cant change them, i would like to know what they are set to.

Thus far Im really impressed with what you are doing with the curtis controllers and what they are capable of - it really reminds me of GMs ECUs, they are literally stand alone engine controllers with every bit of flexibility as the aftermarket units.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:40 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The stock controller has a ton of adjustment, even with the "level 4" handheld programmer that the public can "pretty easily" get their hands on. I was amazed in 2012 when I saw what I was now allowed to do. I had plenty of fun in Ezgo school when they were "teaching us" about our level 2 programmers with their level 4 programmer (they didn't even knock it down to "level 2", and easily could have). But, alot of this stuff is truly best left alone by all but the pros. (Level 4 access can make your cart a lawyer gold mine).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:10 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve390Gold View Post
A wheelie?! Wow!!!

Well I decided to see if i could replicate the issue with zero success, short of just leaving cart with key in "F" position for 20 minutes...lol. Got the pack down to 48.1 and zero issues. Upon reading the instruction manual 3-1 is a low battery voltage issue, but I couldnt replicate the issue.

I also discovered that there is a developers Navitas App that you get access to after registering the controller. Apparently this app lets you manipulate setting and such!! Hopefully it will show the over/under volt settings and such. Even if i cant change them, i would like to know what they are set to.

Thus far Im really impressed with what you are doing with the curtis controllers and what they are capable of - it really reminds me of GMs ECUs, they are literally stand alone engine controllers with every bit of flexibility as the aftermarket units.
I've hacked automotive ECUs for years!
Old 06-24-2018, 12:00 AM   #8
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Bob it’s nice to know that I’m not the only person who popped a wheelie after a controller conversion.

��

My back hurt for 2 days. How long did yours hurt?

��
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkredman View Post
Hey Bob it’s nice to know that I’m not the only person who popped a wheelie after a controller conversion.

��

My back hurt for 2 days. How long did yours hurt?

��
I live with lower back pain, so it's normal for me. In answer to your question, I was sorer for a few days.

One other thing... If you intend to drag race other carts, make sure that you set Accel LS and Accel HS as a blended pair. I also landed hard the first time that I tried to wheelie after setting both undervolts down to 24 volts and 50%, and had changed to 2 guage wires... I found that when I transitioned from my modified setting of Accel LS to the stock setting of Accel HS, it also landed kinda hard. Keep the power to it smoothly and it'll land much softer. I tend to go in (even when not setting to wheelie) and adjust the torque curve through the RPM range to keep a smoother transition to the steps. This eliminates power jerks as you transition through the steps. We're trying to use digital steps to simulate the smooth analog control of a gas pedal.

Bob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO