lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
CChampion
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ-GO PDS Lift

I've searched the threads but really cant find a lot of info. I did read some older threads where a couple of people mentioned the EZGO PDS was not a good cart for lifting if it were going to stay stock motor and controller. It seems that if you are adding aftermarket motor and controller everyone thought it would be ok. My questions are:
1. Is the series cart a better cart for lifting and adding aftermarket parts like motor and controller.
2. If so, what makes the series better than a PDS(sepex) cart?
3. Will you get better torque and speed from one or the other?
4. Is one more reliable than the other?
Again, I apologize if these have already been answered, but I searched the forums and didn't really find the answer. Please link me to the thread where they are answered if this topic has already been covered.
CChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO PDS Lift

Series do make more torque and less speed but today's sepex carts can hold their own off the road if the terrain is reasonable. Go here to read more > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html

The stock PDS motor is small and weak for big tires and off road use. So is the controller and solenoid small for big tires and off the road use. You may get by if the cart stays on flat ground, preferably paved. Otherwise look to upgrade the controller, solenoid, cable set, and motor for the best results
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
CChampion
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty, I have read most of the stuff on your site and appreciate your advice. I have all intentions of upgrading motor, controller, solenoid and cables. Most of the places it would go would be fairly hilly but not really any mud.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChampion View Post
I've searched the threads but really cant find a lot of info. I did read some older threads where a couple of people mentioned the EZGO PDS was not a good cart for lifting if it were going to stay stock motor and controller. It seems that if you are adding aftermarket motor and controller everyone thought it would be ok. My questions are:
1. Is the series cart a better cart for lifting and adding aftermarket parts like motor and controller.
2. If so, what makes the series better than a PDS(sepex) cart?
3. Will you get better torque and speed from one or the other?
4. Is one more reliable than the other?
Again, I apologize if these have already been answered, but I searched the forums and didn't really find the answer. Please link me to the thread where they are answered if this topic has already been covered.
1. & 2. The end goal more or less determines which drive system is better. In very general terms, series drive carts make better off-road carts while sepex drive carts make better on-road carts, but either drive system can be made for either type of driving conditions. The trick is to determine how the cart will be used and then build towards that goal.

3. You can get extreme speed OR extreme torque from a series drive, but not both. The way the motor manufacturer winds the armature and field windings at the factory determines if the series motor is a High-Speed motor, or a High-Torque motor or something in-between. The same is true with sepex motors, but by adjusting the amount of current flow through the field windings relative to the amount of armature current flow, the Torque/Speed curve of a sepex motor can be altered so the motor's performance leans more toward torque or more toward speed while the motor is in operation. The process is called Field Mapping. In a nutshell a sepex motor behaves like a torque motor AND like a speed motor as required during operation.

4. With aftermarket controllers and motors, both drive types are very reliable these days.

--------
Personally, I'm not a fan of lifting a short wheelbase, narrow track, top heavy vehicle and tires up to about 20" tall can be installed on a non-lifted cart.

Also, be aware that low pressure tires (less than 10PSI max inflation pressure) take more torque to turn and reduce top speed.

Like previously mentioned, figure out the end goal and build towards that goal.

-------
Added
Here is a chart show speed gains and torque losses for various tire heights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tire Height vs Speed and Torque.jpg (178.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 06-22-2018 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: added info
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
CChampion
Not Yet Wild

Thank you JohnnieB. A lot of it’s time will likely be spent hauling the kids around the neighborhood, but I want to be able to do some trail riding with it. I have a Polaris Ranger for anything that gets too muddy or for hauling. Really my wife and kids want a golf cart and I want to make it dual purpose.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A sepex drive with an Alltrax XCT45400 or larger controller can be turned into a dual purpose cart. With the FNKS option, you can program up to something like three different users and each can be mild to wild. One for off-road, one for a NEV for the wife and a really tame one for the kids (if old enough)

One of the beauties of the sepex drive system is its versatility.

My off-roading is better described as cross-country (grass and dirt trails with hills - no mud or sand), but my cart's off-road limitations are ground clearance and traction. As for on-road, my XCT is set to limit my motor to 6500RPM, which gives me a bit over 25MPH (city street speed limit) with my 17" tall turf tires.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

CChampion, In case you weren't aware, EZGO has not made a "series" cart since ~2008. They also stopped making 36v carts in early 2010. All new/newish carts from EZGO, Club Car or Yamaha are at least 48v and sepex or brushless (AC) motored.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #8
CChampion
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Kernal for the info. I wasn’t exactly sure what years the different carts were made but that helps a lot.

JohnnieB that’s exactly what I had in mind. A dual purpose cart with the alltrax FNKS switch, so I can tame it down for my 8yo. My FIL has a Beast buggy and it has a FN2 switch on the dash that I can dial back and let them ride.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO