lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
dstriplin1
Not Yet Wild

Angry Shimmy on 2009 TXT

Hi All,

I've recently purchased an '09 TXT and am experiencing an odd shimmy while driving. I thought it may have been tires, so I had all four replaced and also had the cart tech check out the suspension to which they said was good and included heavy duty leaf springs.

While driving, especially at higher speeds (16-20mph +) the cart seems to wobble back and forth and vibrates fairly significantly. It is not steering wheel vibration, but the entire cart. When turning, even slightly, it seems to be off balance as best as I can describe it.

I'm sure that is fairly vague, but it is the best I can do to describe it. If anyone needs any clarification, happy to answer questions.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Dave
dstriplin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Shimmy on 2009 TXT

You didn't say if the tech checked/adjusted the toe in.

If it is lifted and you don't have experience with the handling characteristics of a lifted cart it could be you are not accustomed to that feel.

It would help to further describe the cart. If it is lifted, how, etc. if we are to offer better insights or tips.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Also, check the "play" in your steering. Move the steering wheel back and forth, without moving the tires. Another way is jack up the cart, and with someone holding the steering wheel firm, see how far each direction the tires will turn, without moving the steering wheel. It is 9 years old, and may have worn a bit.

EDIT: This won't cause "vibration" but may be described as "shimmy"?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
dstriplin1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
You didn't say if the tech checked/adjusted the toe in.

If it is lifted and you don't have experience with the handling characteristics of a lifted cart it could be you are not accustomed to that feel.

It would help to further describe the cart. If it is lifted, how, etc. if we are to offer better insights or tips.
Good point on the info! It is not lifted, but does have heavy duty leaf springs. I do not believe they adjusted toe, and I'm a bit suspicious that they did not. The handling I can deal with, it's mainly the vibration while driving on a flat paved road that bugs me. Literally, when driving the whole cart "wobbles" or vibrates enough that it is past distracting and approaches making it not fun to drive. Think about sitting on top of a washer or dryer while it's spinning and the repetitive bounce you would feel. That is the best analogy I can use to describe it, does that help?
Old 10-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
dstriplin1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Also, check the "play" in your steering. Move the steering wheel back and forth, without moving the tires. Another way is jack up the cart, and with someone holding the steering wheel firm, see how far each direction the tires will turn, without moving the steering wheel. It is 9 years old, and may have worn a bit.

EDIT: This won't cause "vibration" but may be described as "shimmy"?
This sounds like what I'm describing. Would that produce what could be described as a continued bumping sensation or repitive shimmy? Think sitting on top of a washer or dryer as they are spinning that it out of balance and feeling the constant "shimmy" or "bumping"
Old 10-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Mine used do be hard to handle at high speeds, until I got used to it. Then I replaced the steering box.

I wouldn't describe it as bouncing, bumping, or vibrating, though. It's possible you have out of round tires, or possibly one or more not properly seated. Try and see if you can determine whether it's a single tire. Maybe have someone drive for you, while you lean over each tire - careful.

If you think you have a "bad" tire, move it to the other side, and see if the problem follows it. Depending on what you find, we can maybe offer advise.

One other possibility is flat spots from sitting. Have you driven it far enough to know if it improves after the tires warm up?
Old 10-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
dstriplin1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Mine used do be hard to handle at high speeds, until I got used to it. Then I replaced the steering box.

I wouldn't describe it as bouncing, bumping, or vibrating, though. It's possible you have out of round tires, or possibly one or more not properly seated. Try and see if you can determine whether it's a single tire. Maybe have someone drive for you, while you lean over each tire - careful.

If you think you have a "bad" tire, move it to the other side, and see if the problem follows it. Depending on what you find, we can maybe offer advise.

One other possibility is flat spots from sitting. Have you driven it far enough to know if it improves after the tires warm up?
Yes, I drive it quite often and it almost seems to get worse on tire warmup. Either that, or my tolerance for the shimmy starts to wear....

A bit frustrating to say the least....
Old 10-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #8
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just because you installed new tires it doesn't mean they are "true". Golf cart tires are meant to be driven at 15mph or less. The higher the speed the more their flaws can surface like out of round condition or imbalance. The only way to insure you get round tires with no runout is to buy DOT approved tires which are more expensive.

The vibration, if a seat of the pants type vibration, could simply be the engine vibration at higher rpm. It is 9 years old so the engine might be vibrating a bit more than when new.

Is this your first cart or first gas cart?
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm assuming electric, as this is the electric forum?
Old 10-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
dstriplin1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
Just because you installed new tires it doesn't mean they are "true". Golf cart tires are meant to be driven at 15mph or less. The higher the speed the more their flaws can surface like out of round condition or imbalance. The only way to insure you get round tires with no runout is to buy DOT approved tires which are more expensive.

The vibration, if a seat of the pants type vibration, could simply be the engine vibration at higher rpm. It is 9 years old so the engine might be vibrating a bit more than when new.

Is this your first cart or first gas cart?
This is my first cart as well as it is an electric cart. I wonder if what you are getting at is accruate as when I asked the shop to drive it, they said they thought it rode fine. I'm starting to wonder if my expectations aren't too high.

I did wonder about motor mounts but haven't had time to get in there and check it out. I will be working on this starting this evening for the next few days as I finally have some time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO