lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
Cliffy23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default E-Z-GO TXT 36v battery leaking

I have a TXT 36v and one of the batteries is leaking while charging. I keep a good eye on the water level on all the batteries and everything seems normal. The leaking battery is what I assume is the first in the series. It’s the battery that has the fuse attached to it. Why is this happening and how do I fix this issue? Thank you
Cliffy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: E-Z-GO TXT 36v battery leaking

If the battery is leaking get it out of the cart ASAP. You will need a new battery at minimum.

How old are they?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Leaking out the bottom or bubbling out the top?

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I successfully repaired one of my two batteries in my old van. I took some fiberglass cloth and raveled it to get a bunch of loose fibers (3-D vs 2-D). Then I roughened up the battery plastic where it was cracked. I used JB Weld and the fibers to apply about 1/8" inch of fibrous goop. Held great.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy23 View Post
I have a TXT 36v and one of the batteries is leaking while charging. I keep a good eye on the water level on all the batteries and everything seems normal. The leaking battery is what I assume is the first in the series. It’s the battery that has the fuse attached to it. Why is this happening and how do I fix this issue? Thank you
If liquid is leaking out of the caps and only while charging, the battery is overfilled.

This happens when water is added to batteries before batteries are charged.

The electrolyte volume expands during the charging process and if partially discharged battery is filled to the correct level for a fully charged battery, overflowing may occur.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #6
Cliffy23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the responses. The batteries have a July 2015 date on them. It appears that the one one battery is just leaking from the vent cap. I’m going to reduce the water level and see that remedies the issue.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
Cliffy23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It’s been a while, but I wanted to provide an update. The battery that was leaking was properly filled and so were the others, EXCEPT the one battery right before the one that was leaking. So I filled that one battery back to its proper level, and now the following battery in the series is not leaking...
Old 02-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #8
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for the follow up and up date.
All the more reminder lead acid batteries due require a certain amount of mant.
Keep them charged and check for proper water levels. Monitor voltage and specific gravity readings to keep them in good condition.
I’m on the 6th year of using a set of Trojans and just now having to replace due to age and lack of capacity proofing regular battery maint. pays off
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO