lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
Red neck cart tech
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default ez-go rxv is super slow

the rxv im working on has good battery voltage but is super slow in each direction and will barley move. it has 45 volts under a load. how do I check the speed sensor or throttle position sensor without a scanner
Red neck cart tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: ez-go rxv is super slow

45v at low speeds is horrible, sounds like bad batteries has the controller in "limp-home-mode".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
Red neck cart tech
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The 45 volts is under a heavy load and the car should run correctly down to about 42.5
Old 01-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
jeremy98
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red neck cart tech View Post
The 45 volts is under a heavy load and the car should run correctly down to about 42.5
When the cart starts to run the voltage down this low, it will cause the motor to pull more amperage to operate. I agree with CGTECH regarding the batteries and how low they are. Normally a good set of batteries should not drop any more than 2 volts when under load. Do you know which control is installed in this cart, Danaher or Curtis?
jeremy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
Red neck cart tech
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

danaher it is a 2009
Old 01-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
Red neck cart tech
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I am bringing the batteries up now not sure about the limp home mode it is so slow it would take 10 minutes to go 100 feet I will post my findings
Old 01-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red neck cart tech View Post
I am bringing the batteries up now not sure about the limp home mode it is so slow it would take 10 minutes to go 100 feet I will post my findings
Check the motor speed encoder (likely an encoder bearing in 2009) for a bad connection at the plug, or use a scope to test both signal wires for square wave pulses when the motor is running. Put the rear axle up on jack stands first of course. If that checks out, then measure the resistance of the motor temperature sensor at the 2 wire connector when it is unplugged from the harness. Those 2 sensors produce a crawl rate speed response from the controller.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
Red neck cart tech
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

thanks Bob do you know what the ohm readings of the temp sensor are supposed to be ? I have good voltage now but still crawling, also I removed the plastic cover on the motor at the cables and I smell smoked electrical, I am about to test the motor ohms readings as well
Old 01-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
Red neck cart tech
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Bob I have a advanced troubleshooting booklet from ez-go customer car and it has a picture of the encoder as a small oval unit mounted to the drive end of the motor opposite end from the brake but this 2009 car does not have one ??
Old 01-03-2019, 10:56 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

That's why I said 2009 should have the bearing encoder. It is part of one of the motor bearings. The cable for it comes out of the motor and has a 4 wire connector. 2 of those wires are the + and - 5 volt power leads. The other 2 are signal A and signal B. They are 5 volt square wave pulses, referenced to the black (-) wire. Both signals must be there in order not to get an error. You'll have to remove and disassemble the motor in order to change out the bearing encoder. I was told the replacement costs about $180.

Not sure on the temperature sensor value. I think it is a thermister imbedded into the motor windings to measure the motor internal temperature.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ez-go, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO