lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Guessing new battery?

Well, the other day I was performing some work on the cart and noticed this. Now, I do check the water levels every month, but I am guessing that between the monthly checks we were riding a lot more (the weather has been getting better) and the nut came loose. I do have the torqued down to the proper spec so not sure what actually happened to it.

My question is, can blue Loctite be used on a battery terminal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190523_073850.jpg (141.5 KB, 0 views)
Denzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Guessing new battery?

You are lucky that your battery has two sets of terminals. I'd buy a good one and bolt your cable to the "automotive" style terminal.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with Yurtle! I'd also like to NOT recommend loctite! It can cause resistance. Maybe lock washers, or just checking the nuts every so often is about all you can do.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
I agree with Yurtle! I'd also like to NOT recommend loctite! It can cause resistance. Maybe lock washers, or just checking the nuts every so often is about all you can do.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I have been checking, this of course happens between checks... aggravating because I have one other battery that this started to happen, but as we were riding that much during the winter, it didn't have the melting as much. It is still working fine and the nut is nice and snug.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Too "snug" is just as bad as loose. You've got a pretty bad record with two batteries failed. I'd recommend reviewing your batteries' torque spec and following that. It's in inch-pounds, so don't go torquing it to foot-pounds.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is hard to tell now that the post is melted, but it looks like the shrink wrap is pushed way too far into the lug.

Make sure the shrink wrap is not preventing any of the lugs from seating flat onto the lead surface.

Also verify that those cables are using 5/16" lugs and not 3/8" lugs that can move around with vibration and cause the connection to become loose.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
It is hard to tell now that the post is melted, but it looks like the shrink wrap is pushed way too far into the lug.

Make sure the shrink wrap is not preventing any of the lugs from seating flat onto the lead surface.

Also verify that those cables are using 5/16" lugs and not 3/8" lugs that can move around with vibration and cause the connection to become loose.
Good catch. When I zoom in, it does look like a melted area where the heat shrink may have prevented a solid contact. The heat shrink even looks to be discolored at this same point. May not have been too loose or too tight after all. Worth checking ALL terminals, not just battery, but controller, FNR, solenoid, and motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery.jpg (86.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #8
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

A bad crimp or corrosion inside the terminal can cause this as well. My uncle burnt up several battery post due to bad cables. The terminal was getting red hot where it was crimped which was transferred to the bolt which melted the lead around it. He was tightening them properly while still getting melted posts. Never dawned on him to check the wires.
R.Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, just ordered some 2G cables from ScottyB… I am taking the batteries out today and taking them to where I purchased them from to see about getting new ones. I know I will probably have to pay again, but better to start all new, they are less than a year old so shouldn't be too different from the others.

All other connections are good.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #10
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Good catch. When I zoom in, it does look like a melted area where the heat shrink may have prevented a solid contact. The heat shrink even looks to be discolored at this same point. May not have been too loose or too tight after all. Worth checking ALL terminals, not just battery, but controller, FNR, solenoid, and motor.
That was interesting as these were prepackaged and not made specifically for me. Well, getting new cables anyway as well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO