lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #31
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 RXV Rebuild: Lord Humungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Just imagine what that RXV could do with a reprogrammed 350 Amp Curtis controller... Nearly double the amps of that Navitas!
I have my eye out for a 2015 but, do the 350 controllers come "stock" in those or is it the 250 in them? What year did they put the 350's into the RXV?

Also, do you have any photos of a disassembled Curtis 350 controller? Curious to see the MOSFET layout on it. Trying to figure out how it is "double" the amps works.

Here is what a Danaher looks like for those curious:

Danaher1.jpg

Danaher2.jpg

I have it sitting next to me so I can take better high-rez photos for anyone who wants to see the parts closer.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #32
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuggyboy View Post
What did the cart sell for?
When did it sell? And for what Price?
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:15 AM   #33
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post
I have my eye out for a 2015 but, do the 350 controllers come "stock" in those or is it the 250 in them? What year did they put the 350's into the RXV?

Also, do you have any photos of a disassembled Curtis 350 controller? Curious to see the MOSFET layout on it. Trying to figure out how it is "double" the amps works.

Here is what a Danaher looks like for those curious:

Attachment 190044

Attachment 190045

I have it sitting next to me so I can take better high-rez photos for anyone who wants to see the parts closer.
Nice pics of the "flower layout" in there, I thought that looked efficient when i saw it too. The Curtis 350 was never offered in stock carts, it was the factory authorized upgrade, and it's a good one. The stocker can do a lot, enough for most, but the 350 is the one to have for big lifted carts. The stock controller gets a bad rap when big tires are added, but it was programmed conservatively to meet "golf cart" needs, and to minimize warranty claims. It meets ezgos desires pretty nicely, they dont fail when used in stock form, and only a few usage profiles test it's stock programming (parking on a nasty steep driveway is one that can get it upset). Even the stock controller can do much more than it was set to do. These stories of rxv lore aren't myths, I been doing crazy stuff with them before I even heard/seen Bob's knowledge & experience (which taught me much more). I have never had a 350 apart, but the way Curtis builds, it's just the same layout as the smaller ones, but with slightly higher rated components. They both live in the same platform used for many controllers. You could possibly "crank up" the stock controller far above it's stock ratings, but real risk of damage comes with that. It's technically possible to turn it up to about triple it's factory ratings, but that's gonna kill it for sure (guaranteed death).

Imagine supercharging your stock cast crank, cast rod, cast piston gas engine to triple its original power, and add some nitrous for extra mid range punch....yeah, it's gonna break real soon. (It's not quite that simple, but just for explaining it).

The "just how does that work" goes like this.

3 phase AC systems by their nature have "3 channels" ("U", "V", and "W" as their known in the USA). As far as I know about this rating system goes like this... Curtis rates each of their channels at 235a, and calls it a 235a controller (but the stock software limits capabilities greatly, that part I can confirm).

It is suggested that Navitas adds their numbers amongst the 3 phases together to get a great looking "high score" total far above the stock controller. 200 x 3. (I have no reason to refute that suggestion, many controller makers/rebuilders do this, in all controllers, not just AC). The aftermarket software is set more agressive, and not constrained by a big group of lawyers with "future problems" in mind. Ezgo sets things with possible warranty claims, and "we ****** up" lawsuits in mind, they sell tons of fleet vehicles to courses where the user is "rental car, not my problem" mindset. Issues that aftermarket aren't as much exposed to. The stock controller can damage stock parts, and the Curtis 350 when set to "Kill" WILL eventually damage stock axle mount parts on newer RXVs (I know, because I have done it more than once). If I owned a "bad azz" rxv, I would weld the mounting pads to to the axle tubes (and have done so before).

We aren't talking just marketing numbers, nor mythical unicorns here. Bob knows, and I know. (Some others do too).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #34
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Well said cgtech! So the Navitas, if rated the way Curtis rates controllers, would be a 200 Amp controller. And the stock 235 Amp Curis controller, if rated like Navitas does it, would be a 705 Amp controller. And the 350 Amp Curtis would be 1050 Amps if rated like the Navitas. Navitas performs because they set it for max Amps of what the hardware is rated. Curtis turns theirs down to a fraction of the rating. When we reprogram, we only set it to run at max rating, and no more than that. It's simple really, the curtis inverter output is much beefier than the Navitas is. It is possible, in software, to turn some stock 235 Amp Curtis controllers up to 800 Amps per phase! I will never do that. That would be begging for something to break! I have seen axles snapped with them just set to their rating of 235 Amps and used for drag racing...
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:56 PM   #35
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
It is possible, in software, to turn some stock 235 Amp Curtis controllers up to 800 Amps per phase! I will never do that. That would be begging for something to break! I have seen axles snapped with them just set to their rating of 235 Amps and used for drag racing...
Would setting each phase to over 300 amps per phase stress the battery out? Any impact to the battery serving up that much amps on a consistent basis? Or does the Curits controller use an algorithm to manage the draw so it is not always pulling high amps?
Old 07-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #36
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not my cart but saw this the other day...

EzGo RXV 2012 (danhar origionally) Navitas 600amp controller, 20s1p lithium setup using Nissan leaf batteries on 20.5" tall tires.

RXV-Navitas600amp.jpg

So I can't even imagine what a configured 350 Curtis would do! Yikes.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #37
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post
Would setting each phase to over 300 amps per phase stress the battery out? Any impact to the battery serving up that much amps on a consistent basis? Or does the Curits controller use an algorithm to manage the draw so it is not always pulling high amps?
I don't think any AC controller manufacturer would make such a basic mistake as to "add" the currents for their specification.

It is 3 phase so you need to use vector math to find out the equivalent "supply" current at maximum load, but I think it would be less than double (around 1.73) at worst case scenario.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #38
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I don't think any AC controller manufacturer would make such a basic mistake as to "add" the currents for their specification.
There doesn't seem to be a "standard" for how to "rate" controllers and total amps. That is what is confusing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
It is 3 phase so you need to use vector math to find out the equivalent "supply" current at maximum load, but I think it would be less than double (around 1.73) at worst case scenario.
My thinking too that it can't be "double". But, considering I had the RXV with a Navitas controller going 35mph without issue I am trying also to figure out what the performance difference really is between the Curtis and Navitas setups. I know what the price difference is in Canadian dollars. But, still confused as to what the actual performance difference is.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #39
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Top speed doesn't mean much, almost all the Curtis rxv controllers can spin the motor to 9600 rpm.

And "fudging the numbers" & testing under unrealistic conditions is more prevalent than you may think, just look at the CTS rebuilt "short case" Curtis series controllers claiming 600a, if your buying that one, I got a bridge to sell you.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #40
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Top speed doesn't mean much, almost all the Curtis rxv controllers can spin the motor to 9600 rpm.

And "fudging the numbers" & testing under unrealistic conditions is more prevalent than you may think, just look at the CTS rebuilt "short case" Curtis series controllers claiming 600a, if your buying that one, I got a bridge to sell you.
One day I will have my hands on a Curtis 250amp controller. One day. :) Just need to get lucky.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO