lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 RXV with Steering issues

Hi All,

Got a 2008 RXV and have some questions about steering.

I purchased this golf cart second hand and thereafter found some issues.

I have replaced the rear leaf springs with Heavy Duty Springs, I have purchase 4 new 12 inch wheels with Timberwolf A/T Tires. I have also replaced the rear differential fluid and seat.

Next up is the steering. It is very squirrelly!! Slight movement in the steering wheel and the cart start swerving. I have adjusted the Toe-in and their is no real movement in the tie rods. I have also lowered the PSI in the tires to 18psi. The cart does have a 6" RHOX spindle Lift that i know can cause some unsteady steering, but would it cause a problem to the point where its scary to drive the **** thing??

Some things i have noticed is that the cart leans towards the front drivers side tire. (Maybe a shock needs to be replace??? IDK) . Could that be causing it? These is also some creaking come from the front wheels which i suspect could be front wheel bearings. But again I ask can this cause the swerving? Just trying to narrow down what to attack next.

Any advice you all can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks all!
rob_c28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 RXV with Steering issues

If adjusting the tie rods doesn't get any movement, that's where to start.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If adjusting the tie rods doesn't get any movement, that's where to start.

Not sure I know what you mean. When shaking the tie rods back and fourth, there is no movement. I read somewhere that if there was movement that could cause some steering problems.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_c28 View Post
...I have adjusted the Toe-in and their is no real movement in the tie rods.

Sorry, I took this to mean that adjustment wasn't possible. Many ex-golf course carts have blown struts, I would be going after the front struts if you have tried every time setting with no change.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #5
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Sorry, I took this to mean that adjustment wasn't possible. Many ex-golf course carts have blown struts, I would be going after the front struts if you have tried every time setting with no change.
When you say blown struts do you mean the shock assembly? How could i tell if they are blown? The shock do move up and down when i add weight to the front of the cart. Could the shocks/struts be the cause for the cart leaning toward the front drivers side and also causing the steering to be extremely sensitive?
Old 06-23-2019, 08:49 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Shocks only dampen the ride, they don’t support any whieght per say.
If cart leans to one side that is a sign of a bad spring be it struts( coil spring) or leaf spring.
Also until cart sits level toe can not be properly adjusted.
Being twitchy suspect either loose front end component or toe is out of adjustment meaning when wheels are straight ( and cart level) front of tires are pointing out instead of in.
Graph each tire and see if it has play (wiggles) to help narrow down worn part.
Not understanding when you say tie rods have no movement? They won’t adjust? Out of adjustment? Please explain.
😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:15 PM   #7
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm going with misalignment. Toe in may still be in spec but not be symmetric, resulting in steering hell. Be meticulous and start with both wheels at 0, straight ahead, confirmed by measuring the distance to each wheel from midline. The midline is at the center front edge of that structural "box" behind the nose. Measure laterally from that point. Once the wheel distances are the same, then do your toe in on each wheel, symmetrically. I think you'll solve your problem.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #8
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

As a follow up:

1. /\

2. |\

Both of these meet spec 1/4" closer in front than rear, but the second will send you into the ditch with a left hand turn.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggieman18 View Post
As a follow up:

1. /\

2. |\

Both of these meet spec 1/4" closer in front than rear, but the second will send you into the ditch with a left hand turn.

I have adjusted the toe again and noticed I may have alittle but of scenario 2. My passenger side looks to sit with the bottom farther out then the top. How do I adjust that? I looked at some videos online and noticed on the video that there are three positions on the top of the “shock” unit for adjustment but I do not have that on my cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_c28 View Post
I have adjusted the toe again and noticed I may have alittle but of scenario 2. My passenger side looks to sit with the bottom farther out then the top. How do I adjust that? I looked at some videos online and noticed on the video that there are three positions on the top of the “shock” unit for adjustment but I do not have that on my cart.

Here are some pictures for everyone to take a look

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO