lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2019, 04:24 AM   #1
zb02hd
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 ezgo 36v project

Hey everyone I’m new here and somewhat new to electric carts. I picked up a non running 2002 pds for next to nothing knowing it had a bad controller and no batteries and here’s where my questions start. The controller, most of the wiring that go into the bottom of the controller and the white wire going to the ignition switch are burned up. The controller is an alltrax dcx300/pds with what appears to be a stock solenoid. The motor is a 73124G01. I ohmed out the motor and it appeared to be fine.

Is there any definite reason that could have caused that to burn up like that?

Is that the correct motor/controller combo?

What will by the simplest way to get the cart back up and running for minimal cost hopefully not replacing the motor?

Edit: I’m not looking for any super performance out of it if it’s cheaper to go back with stock controller/motor combo that’s fine also. Kind of just looking for the best bang for the buck to get it back on the road.
zb02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2019, 05:47 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 ezgo 36v project

well for starters, based on the pictures of the controller and motor P/N you gave is, you don't have a PDS cart....what you have is a DCS....and the motor you have is right for that.

get yourself a like controller, it would be cheaper than a factory (ezgo) controller, replace/repair the wiring and give her a go!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:55 AM   #3
zb02hd
Not Yet Wild

It does the forward/reverse switch on the dash if that makes the difference ?

And this is the model number:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 79DA500C-5C1C-4754-94D0-F53FABA0BF6C.jpg (21.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb02hd View Post
It does the forward/reverse switch on the dash if that makes the difference ?

And this is the model number:
hmmmmmm….I think you got a mismatched of parts. but you can look up that controller, and it IS a DCS controller, and the motor is too. NORMALLY the DCS's F&R is on the front of the back body with a lever, HOWEVER it could have been converted, as I have seen that done..... in fact I have done it my self.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
zb02hd
Not Yet Wild

That’s what I was starting to wonder. I got ahold of Scotty b through email and he has steered me in the right direction with a new controller that will work with that motor. Now to find out what all burned up and start re wiring and checking things out. None of the leads to the motor showed any signs of getting hot. Mainly looks like a wire that came from the key switch to the controller adapter harness got super hot. Hopefully the pedal wiring and stuff is still ok.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

According to the serial no. that cart is a 2002 standard PDS if that cubby/dash is original to the cart. For info only. Nuke and scottyb will get you straightened out.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb02hd View Post
That’s what I was starting to wonder. I got ahold of Scotty b through email and he has steered me in the right direction with a new controller that will work with that motor. Now to find out what all burned up and start re wiring and checking things out. None of the leads to the motor showed any signs of getting hot. Mainly looks like a wire that came from the key switch to the controller adapter harness got super hot. Hopefully the pedal wiring and stuff is still ok.
you made the right choice.....you are on the right track now!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There is some confusion here about what the cart is, what the controller is and what the motor is.

The cart is a 2002 TXT with a PDS drive system, or at least has a the control wiring harness of a PDS.

The DCX controller is a plug-n-play for a DCS drive, but when EZGO replaced the failed DCS design in 2000, Alltrax developed a wiring adapter that allowed a DCX controller to be used in a PDS cart, essentially down-grading the PDS drive to a DCS drive.

The motor is a DCS motor which doesn't have a speed senor and you need a controller to match the PDS wiring harness, and the stock PDS won't run right without a speed sensor and the XCT-PDS aftermarket controller is a dog without a speed sensor.

If you get another PDS to DCX adapter cable (the one you have is burned up), You could install an Alltrax XCT-DCS, but the full performance of the XCT won't be available.

To make a long story short, you need both a controller and motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #9
zb02hd
Not Yet Wild

Can the xct-pds be tuned to perform better with the current motor? Scotty seemed like it wasn’t a major deal but like I said I’m kind of new to all the after market parts on golf carts. I figured it would be around the same price to go quality aftermarket parts and end up having better performance than trying to convert the cart back to stock
Old 07-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #10
zb02hd
Not Yet Wild

I started pulling the parts off today and noticed the inline fuse wasn’t installed onto the alltrax that melted. There is supposed to be one in the BATT- post right? Do you think it would be possible for a charger to short out and over amp and melt the whole system especially since no inline fuse was installed?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO