lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2019, 12:47 AM   #1
surfdog
Gone Wild

Default Is this a smart buy

Hi All, I'm looking for an electric cart to use in a hilly area. The cart I found has a nice lift, wheels and tires and brand new batteries (last month, duracells) only problem is it's 36 volt. The owner lists "a chipped super exciter controller" whatever that is. I'm wondering if this would work for the hilly area where I plan to use it. I remember something on this site, way back about making your cart 42 volts (as opposed to 48 ). Was that just adding a battery or did it require a new controller, charger and so on. Who was the fellow recommending that, I think he was a vendor. Thanks for any advice
surfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2019, 01:41 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Is this a smart buy

I think you are going to have to tell a lot more about the cart you are looking at before anybody can give you advice about it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Probably a PDS cart with a speed chip. If it is lifted and it is hilly where you are that controller won’t last long.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I think he means it has a Seperately Excited motor and controller, ie SepEx vs Series Wound.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
Hi All, I'm looking for an electric cart to use in a hilly area. The cart I found has a nice lift, wheels and tires and brand new batteries (last month, duracells) only problem is it's 36 volt. The owner lists "a chipped super exciter controller" whatever that is. I'm wondering if this would work for the hilly area where I plan to use it. I remember something on this site, way back about making your cart 42 volts (as opposed to 48 ). Was that just adding a battery or did it require a new controller, charger and so on. Who was the fellow recommending that, I think he was a vendor. Thanks for any advice
Sounds like a Flux Capacitor that makes time travel possible.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Do like mooncarter says and provide more specifics about the cart. The different drive types perform differently and have different upgrade possibilities. There’s a sticky at the top of this page that tells you how to Id the drive type. Provide the year also, and see if you can get the controller model. In addition, the actual tire size would be good to know. Anytime you hear lift and hills in the same sentence, it throws a warning flag, particularly at 36v. These carts can be made to handle just about anything, but it can cost. Knowing exactly what you’re starting with will help guys give you the correct info.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Sounds like a Flux Capacitor that makes time travel possible.
Yes but only into the future. 42v allows travel into the past as well.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

There are very few chargers out there that can be set to charge a 42v pack if they weren't originally set as such. Don't count on yours as being one of those, 99% chance it's not. 48v QuiQ chargers can, and some DPI can (for about $150), I hear some Lester Summit can to, but only some newer ones, not older lester chargers. No "old style" 36v charger can charge 42v batteries. (If it's in a big sheet metal black box, it probably cant, if its in any "sheet metal" style box with round corners, it cant). The stock controller is usually not ready either. Basically, if its stock controller, and stock charger, it cant do 42v, without you spending more money than "just add one more 6v battery to make it 42v".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36 or 48 volt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO