lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
Nathandi2468
Not Yet Wild

Default Carts suddenly stops

While driving along if you let off the gas and then press it again sometimes the cart won’t go. If you depress the brake all the way and then hit the gas it works again. The cart never stops working as long as you have the pedal pushed. It’s only when you let off the gas at an intersection or around a corner that it stops working. Then you simply depress the brake all the way and then take off again.
Its a late 90’s ezgo txt with a lift and 23x10.5-12 wheels/tires. The controller is a Curtis 36v 350 amp. The wires have been upgraded to 2 gauge.
Any ideas what could be causing this????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nathandi2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Carts suddenly stops

I'm wondering if it is going into thermal shutdown and depressing the brake all the way just gives it enough time to reset and really has nothing to do with the brake so much as the time it takes to depress?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:50 PM   #3
Nathandi2468
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I'm wondering if it is going into thermal shutdown and depressing the brake all the way just gives it enough time to reset and really has nothing to do with the brake so much as the time it takes to depress?
I’m not familiar with thermal shutdown. If that’s it would I be able to drive it for as long as I want as long as I don’t let off the gas pedal? That’s the only time it stops working is if I let off the pedal. Otherwise it will go as long as I want.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:32 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Have a diode on your solenoid? I've seen controllers do funny things without one. Diode should "theoretically" not be absolutely required, but I've seen odd, unexpected things on carts without one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
Nathandi2468
Not Yet Wild

I do have a diode. It’s so strange.... I rode it around that evening for about 45 min and twice when I let off the pedal it died. I just depress the brake all the way and then hit the gas pedal and I’m back in action. A few people have suggested it may be overheating but it only dies if I let off the gas and will immediately go again once I hit the brake and it I don’t let off the gas it seems it will run until the battery dies. I’m at a loss
Old 04-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathandi2468 View Post
I’m not familiar with thermal shutdown. If that’s it would I be able to drive it for as long as I want as long as I don’t let off the gas pedal? That’s the only time it stops working is if I let off the pedal. Otherwise it will go as long as I want.
Well then it's not thermal shutdown. Thermal shutdown is when the controller stops because it overheated. If you can drive it without issue as long as you want until you let off the GO pedal, then it's not thermal shutdown.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #7
Nathandi2468
Not Yet Wild

I just have no idea what is causing it. I guess I’ll have to take it to a shop. Last time I took it to a shop they charged me over $300 and when I got it back it was still doing it. They took it back to their shop and worked on it some more and it’s still doing the exact same thing. I appreciate all the input. Was hoping for a miracle answer[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #8
Threeput
Gone Wild

The diode is there to discharge the induced voltage caused by the collapsing field when the solenoid is switched off...this induced voltage polarity is in reverse to the direction of current that caused it in the first place (lenz's law)...hence the diode is wired neg lead to pos coil terminal on the solenoid
Threeput is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO