lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #1
jetfixr
Not Yet Wild

Default Looking for the right car for me.... help

After quite a while lurking and reading threads, I think I am narrowing in on which cart to buy but I still need some additional help on what year of cart to look for. Initially I had thought about a Yamaha AC model, their PTV mode allows them to go 19.5mph, still not quite fast enough, but is seems like any tweaking or controller swaps done, the motor would be on borrowed time. Then I happened upon the EZ-GO RXV, not exactly sure which year to pick. I was reading quite a few posts by Bob Boyce where the stock 225 amp Curtis controller could be juiced up quite a bit and it is quite a capable controller. Which year/model comes with the 225 amp Curtis? I think the 350s are hard to find and can be quite pricy when I think the 225 may just be able to do the trick for me. Also I don't need a huge-*** lift kit or really big tires, I am thinking some sporty looking 20 inch wheels would do just fine. This cart will be used almost all flat terrain, I am looking to cruise at 25-ish mph with 2 adults, and on occasion will have 4 adults on board. If I have to add enough lift to keep the tires from scrubbing, I will, but I would like to keep it to a minimum. I am not too sure about golf carts but I know on some vehicles lift kits can result in some wonky handling, and I really don't have to worry about anything except for an occasional speed bump. Any pointers would be great, thank you.
jetfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Looking for the right car for me.... help

Get a RXV with a Curtis 235amp controller and it will serve you well.

If you get one get back with me and I can help you with Bob.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yamaha AC motors have no issue at all with aftermarket controllers, only the DC motors have this issue.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
jetfixr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Get a RXV with a Curtis 235amp controller and it will serve you well.

If you get one get back with me and I can help you with Bob.
Great, do you know the years that had the Curtis 235 controller?
jetfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:20 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

2012.5 & newer.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Common to both: Assembled in Ga. AC motor. With dealer adjustments speed can be set to ~19-20 mph on standard 18" tall TIRES. 20-20.5" tall TIRES can be installed without a lift. Speeds will be 22-24mph when these are installed.

Differences: RXV has leaf springs on rear, Yammi has coils. RXV has Danaher controller (early) and Curtis later. Yammi has Toyota controller. RXV has no wheel brakes and a automatic parking brake. Yammi has wheel brakes and conventional parking brake. RXVs normally come with 12v batteries but can be ordered/converted to 8v batteries (way better). Yammies have 8v batteries (also option for 8x 6v batteries I think). On paper, Yammi is more powerful than RXV but not much and either is all you need.

To date the Yammi Toyota controller can't be manipulated beyond the factory allowed settings, far as I know. Controller change needed for more speed etc. Also true for Danaher equipped RXVs.
Curtis equipped RXVs can be manipulated. For level terrain and tires no bigger than the aforementioned 20.5" height, the standard 235 amp controller is plenty. When adjusted correctly accel and regen braking can be set to your liking and speeds above 30mph attainable. Contact usgicollector about this --not the dealer.

Curtis RXVs are mid 2012 to present. The way to tell for sure is look at the metal grill as indicated by the arrow in the picture. It should be black. If silver/grey it is a Danaher. The cart pictured has 8v batteries. Carts with 12v will look different but the part the arrow points at will be the same either way.

I have an RXV with adjusted controller. It is great. I'm sure I could be just has happy with the Yamaha with an equivalent controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0444.jpg (367.1 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO