lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
Badazzharley
Not Yet Wild

Default Robbin engine won't start

I have installed a new to me Robbin engine in my cart. Has a new carb and electric fuel pump. It won't start! I checked for spark. I checked compression which is 120 and 110. I'ts getting fuel but even if it wasn't it won't fire on starting fluid either. Gas air spark and compression. What am I missing? I'm pulling my hair out. Any ideas?? Please help.
Badazzharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Robbin engine won't start

I don’t think you’re gonna get that engine to run on 110psi. And if it does it’s not gonna run very well. Check the valves and adjust to .004

Check the threads showing on the top of the adjuster but. If there’s a bunch more threads showing on the intake valves than the exhaust valves, the intake valves are worn and need to be replaced.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
Badazzharley
Not Yet Wild

Just checked spark again. I get one spark when I first press on the pedal. But that's all just one spark. Coil problem or something else?
Old 03-07-2021, 06:29 PM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When you checked your compression...did you leave the other plug in, and manually open the throttle all the way?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #5
Badazzharley
Not Yet Wild

No. Had both plugs out and did not open the throttle manually. Should I redo the test in that manner. One plug in and open throttle?
Old 03-07-2021, 06:44 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazzharley View Post
No. Had both plugs out and did not open the throttle manually. Should I redo the test in that manner. One plug in and open throttle?
Yes. Throttle needs to be wide open

I’ve never heard about one plug out making a difference but I’d be curious to see if there really is a difference or not

When you’re checking spark the other plug definitely needs to be installed and connected though
Old 03-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

That lower compression reading could indicate two things:

Valves out of adjustment OR

Valve 'creep' which is common on these engines--soft heads. Valves get wore into the heads and end up out of adjustment, causing it to run on one cylinder--you can adjust it, and it sticks for a few minutes then gets out of adjustment again. When you remove the rocker cover, check to see if any of the adjustment screws are extremely out or in. Otherwise re-adjust them to spec and that hopefully will fix the lower compression reading.

I don't get running issues on the Robin twins until they are below 90 psi. 115-125 is common. Sometimes they smoke but they run.

Pulsar coil could be going out if you get one spark and then none during cranking, but it's normally the ignitor which fails first. That's under your solenoid cover near the battery.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #8
Badazzharley
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your help. The coil is almost new so I guessing the igniter is bad. It has never been replaced and the car sat for a year before I put in the replacement motor. Also I have read on this forum that the voltage regulator is usually the cause of the igniter going bad so should I replace that also?
I'm going to check and adjust the valves now.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:47 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d diagnose and figure out exactly what’s going on before replacing anything. Oem parts for these are big bucks and hard to find. And the aftermarket equivalent parts are garbage.

Compression should be 165-170psi on the ones I’ve owned.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:56 PM   #10
Badazzharley
Not Yet Wild

Ok thank you for your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO